-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Where is a "REPUTABLE" place to puchase Hitachi RPTV'S?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 04:30 AM

I am seriously considering purchasing the Hitachi 65XWX20B HDTV and want to know where a good place to purchase one would be. Usually on a purchase that big I want to purchase locally just in case there are any problems with it. What would you guys do?
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#2 of 4 Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 01:14 PM

Circuit City should carry that model, or at least be able to order one for you.

I purchased a UWX Hitachi from them in fall of 01, didn't like it and they exchanged it after I'd had it 3 weeks, no questions asked and no restocking fees.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#3 of 4 Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 04:50 AM

Yeah, I buy a lot of stuff at Cicuit City. They make everything so convenient. As far as chain stores go, they are a great company. What didn't you like about your Hitachi?
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#4 of 4 Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 01:58 PM

Jeff,

My Hitachi had a number of issues. Bad green tint in dark scenes, posterization of fleshtones (looked like faces were painted with flat latex), too much funhouse mirror effect in variable stretch mode, excessive red push.

All of these except the posterization and stretch mode can be fixed with tweaking information that has become available since mine was returned.

If you do a little snooping around over at AVS forum you'll find the posterization is seen by many Hitachi owners, but large numbers of owners don't see it so it would not be fair to condemn Hitachis on that basis.

The variable stretch mode is only a problem if you use that mode a lot. I only used it for the news and non-critical 4/3 stuff but it was still almost nausea inducing. Toshiba, Sony, and Pioneer do it much better.

I would not discourage anyone from buying an Hitachi, just make sure you can return it if you don't like it. I would make that recommendation for any rptv purchase, not just Hitachi.

I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of arranging an exchange on this set at CC. They picked up the Hitachi when they delivered the replacement (another brand) and there was no restocking fee.

They did ask if the Hitachi was malfunctionning, probably only to determine if it needed repair prior to be putting on sale as an open-box unit.

Since the problems I was having were widely reported by others at the time I told them the set was not malfunctionning, that I just wasn't happy with it, and they were fine with that.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.