Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Digital audio dropout - what cause?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Marshall Sander

Marshall Sander

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 11:13 AM

This is probably a common problem, and I wonder what is the cause: I have a H/K AVR 8000 receiver and a Panasonic RP 82 DVD player. When watching DVD's (particularly Shrek is where I've noticed it) in Dolby Digital 5.1 format, I sometimes lose the sound from the FL, C and FR speakers. I can hear soft voices of some characters, but not all. If I switch the audio format to Logic 7 (or some other format), I once again hear the sound of all characters, but then it comes from all speakers. Is this a problem with the receiver, the DVD player or hte DVD itself? Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   DonT

DonT

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 02:49 AM

thats the receiver. i thought you were talking about the dd dropouts due to the rear channel flag, however those are only quick little dropouts that come right back.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 02:57 AM

If it's repeatable in the same spot(s) on the DVD, it's the disc. If not, it's the equipment. It could be the player, the receiver or an interaction between them.

[quote] If I switch the audio format to Logic 7 (or some other format), I once again hear the sound of all characters, but then it comes from all speakers. [quote]
That's not how Logic7 should behave. What audio connections are you running from the player to the receiver?

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Marshall Sander

Marshall Sander

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 07:54 AM

Michael - I'm using a digital coax cable from the DVD player to the receiver. Thanks for your help.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   jeff_coil

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 12:13 AM

Marshall I have heard of some people having "dropouts" due to the interconnect I would try a different cable or try an optical if you have one. Addidtionally I have read several posts on this same issue with the AVR-8000. Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users