What's new

Can you use the AVM-20 with a turntable? (1 Viewer)

WaltC

Agent
Hi,

Seems like an obvious question but I never thought of it till.... my son wanted to demo a Music Hall turntable and I thought the AVM-20 could maybe play the turntable though the AUX connection?

If it can why not and what would I have to do?

Thanks

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
It can't be played through the AUX connection and you'll need a phono preamp. Two kinds of cartridges, needles if you will, are available. The more typical, at least it was when I was young, is the moving magnet. Those work just fine through a phono input. The less typical, are the moving coil types. Those cartridges output a much smaller signal that has to be boosted for a typical phono input. This would imply either getting a separate preamp for the phono input, or getting a phono preamp with variable amounts of gain.

When a record is recorded, an equalization is applied to the signal called the RIAA equalization. Hence when the record is played, a reverse RIAA equalization must be applied to make it all sound right. The phono preamp, in addition to boosting the signal, applies this inverse equalization.

A pretty nice article on RIAA is here.

WaltC

Agent
Thanks

I guess I will pass for now.

I wonder why Anthem did not add that? Not much demand?

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Marantz AV 550 Pre/Pro with no phono input.I didn't want to shelve my B&O turntable so I added a Parasound Phono preamp for about $125,hooked it up to my tape inputs and have been happy with the sound.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
it's just old technology and the cost to install, which is pennies really, adds up over thousands or millions of units. just one of those things. RS sells an inexpesive box, check em out.
is that the B&O linear tracking unit btw?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks