Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Cheap HDTV Tuner

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Jim Williams

Jim Williams

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 09:31 AM

I am looking for a really cheap HDTV tuner for my Mits RPTV. TV is not that important to me, I watch far more DVDs than TV so I really don't want to spend a lot of money for a tuner. Any suggestions?
"I reckon I'd like some of them french fried pertaters. Mm-hmm."
Karl Childers

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Dave Ringkor

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 09:41 AM

You can often find demo units of the older Samsungs for cheap at Best Buy. I got the SIR-T150 that way and it's worked well. Great unit.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   SeanA

SeanA

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 01:33 PM

If you are just looking for OTA reception, I got the Samsung SIR-T151 from Amazon for $310 shipped. It is current generation and so far, I am very pleased with its performance.
Sean
Samsung HL-R4667W DLP, Denon DVD-1600, Sony DVPNS75H, H/K AVR 225, Wharfedale Emeralds and Diamonds

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Chester II

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 11:00 AM

I picked up a floor model Samsung SIR t-150x for $299.00 (San Francisco Bay area) the other day and it works quite well. It has an rgb output which the newer version SIR T-151 doesn't have. That's VERY helpful to me since I can leave the component cables connected to my DVD player and the RGB to the Samsung and both will plug in to my projector. I don't know if the internal components are identical but at that price I'm not complaining. On a related note I suggest an outdoor antenna. The indoor models (rabbit ears, etc.) aren't worth the grief.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   SeanA

SeanA

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 02:31 PM

Quote:
On a related note I suggest an outdoor antenna. The indoor models (rabbit ears, etc.) aren't worth the grief.

Well I am here to say that an indoor antenna can do the job if you don't have a choice. I am able to pull in all but one of the local HD broadcasts, and the one I can't pull in is a very weak signal that few can pick up (including outdoor antennas).
Sean
Samsung HL-R4667W DLP, Denon DVD-1600, Sony DVPNS75H, H/K AVR 225, Wharfedale Emeralds and Diamonds

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Jim Williams

Jim Williams

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 10:52 AM

Well, I guess it will be a while before I get an HDTV tuner. I really only want to spend $200 or less, preferably less. Like I said, TV is low on the totem pole. Given the choice to watch broadcast TV (I only have basic cable and don't want any more than the 14 channels I get with it) and watching a DVD, I will choose the DVD every time. It would just be nice to get the network broadcasts in HD if I could. It is just is not worth $300+ to me.
"I reckon I'd like some of them french fried pertaters. Mm-hmm."
Karl Childers