What's new

Dish or Direct (DVR and other issues) **Merged Thread** (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
I'm tired of seeing stuff on my cable bill that I know for a fact I did not order so I am going to one of the sat companies for service. I am at a lost to which one though. I do want HD and from what I hear Dish will be putting out a Superdish system soon but I need something this weekend. I need it for two rooms also and hoping to try Direct Tivo and be able to rent an HD box for my HD viewing. The only reason I went with cable was for the rental option for the HD box and Golf Channel. :) I do want a small premium lineup with locals and HD ESPN and Discovery. So should I wait for the Superdish deal and have a one sat. setup or deal with a dual lnb oval dish right now to get in HD channels? Is HDNet on Dish or Directv? I have a fully ht setup and would like the best bang for the buck so that means digital out and component connection. I am sick of changing inputs on my CAble box. Please help me decide. I am calling a local dealer later today!

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
I have a Directv Tivo and love it to death! The HD Directivo is coming out at the end of the year and will be able to record HD and SD off the Sat as well as HD and SD off antenna.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Dish is claiming the superdish will provide up to 50HD channels, and it has already been announced that it will include HDNet and HDnet Movies. Dish already has Discovery HD, Showtime HD, and HBO HD, as well as one PPV movie HD channel and a CBS HD feed that is only available if you get a waiver from your local CBS affilliate.

I did a bit of research over at AVS forum and discovered this is all contingent on the successful launch of a new satellite sometime this summer.

I have DirecTV now, with the oval dish and triple LNB. I get HDNet, Showtime HD, HBO HD, and one PPV HD movie channel as well as an occasional free NBA game on that PPV channel.

Rumor is that DirecTV will be adding 2 or 3 more HD channels in the near future, probably Discovery HD, HDNet Movies, and ESPN-HD.

If Dish does succeed with the new satellite and really does offer significantly more HD programming I will jump ship in a hurry. DirecTV has been way too slow and way too secretive about HD and I'm tired of their whole attitude. They took way too long to get Showtime HD up, and have been promising Discovery HD for years with no sign of it yet.

With the upcoming Murdoch takeover I don't look for them to do anything for us HD fans until that deal is final.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Dish's Top 50 package is a cheaper package than Directv lowest package.
You can always add on later

Keir H

Second Unit
THanks alot guys for the responses so far. I called them both and it seems that there is alot of give and take between them. I thought that at least one of them would have rental HD boxes by now. Saying that, I guess I can add a decoder when i am ready. I have heard nothing but good praise from the Tivo owners out there. THey told me they have a package that includes one for $249..for 2 rooms, 1 Tivo though.all I need... Can I just add a Tivo later or the combo satbox/TIvo system when they are a bit more affordable? I really want it now but dont want to put up so much money up front...I guess I cannot have everything. Looks like I'll bite on basic plus and HBO package for now.

AS for a HD box, is the RCA DTC100 still the king?...forgive me, but I have had TWC for faaar too long...:D Excited, but gonna miss G4 (games) channel and GOlf Channel as well. :frowning: WHat esle is there to purchase for HD besides the oval dish and decoder? thanks again everyone!

Alan M

Second Unit
Steve,directv already offers hd movies on channel 198,thats 1 channel down from hdnet.

Keir H

Second Unit
Yes Eric, they do and its not bad either but I am looking to get a one box solution that does HD and SD from one components (RCA DTC100?). Looks like I'll go with D* mainly because of what I see on HDNET although E* seems to offer mor HD in the long run.. decisions decisions..

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
I was a Directv HD customer for a year, and then moved to DISH 2 years ago. I would not go back to Directv even if you paid me. With that said...

Things to consider:

You're more likely to find an "open box" Directv HD receiver than a Dish HD box.

The OTA guide for the Dish 6000 is very, very, very bad-- unless you don't mind seeing "Logical Digital" all the time for the description of all over-the-air stations.
My Hughes E86 took the network PSIP for the OTA PSIP.

Current "killer app" programming-- D* has HDNet, E* has Discovery HD.

Both carriers are releasing integrated HD PVRs this year.

Equipment-- For D*, manufacturers of HD equipment are: Hughes (former/pending parent company of D*), Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, RCA, Mitsubishi, Panasonic (though it's been a long time since they released a D* box). For E*, you have DISH and JVC boxes only.

Video Compatibility-- D* supports DVI, DISH supports nothing right now other than component video (but firewire boxes are arriving this year)

That's a brief list/breakdown.

My gut feeling-- you won't see a "Murdoch Mumbling" segment on D* like the Charlie Chat on E*. Though the Charlie Chat is mostly useless, I still admire the fact that the CEO shows his face openly and answers questions (with a great deal of help from his moderators).

Best regards,
~~Nathan

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Keir,

This is like comparing oranges and tangerines, they are both very similar. Here's some highs and lows:

* For Tivo type stuff, DirecTV is better. They own tivo and they have dual tuner PVRs at $150 on sale. DISH really can't match that.

* For HDTV, right now they are fairly even. DISH seems to be setting itself up better for the future in this regard though, so if HD is #1, I would nudge towards DISH.

* You can wait for the SuperReceivers(tm) to arrive later this year, but they are likely still 3-4 months out. If you need it right away, obviously don't wait for them. I would suspect DISH's models to appear first as they have actually demoed the thing already, but no promises.

* For price, DISH and DTV are dead even in most respects.

* If you want sports season pass type stuff, DTV is much better than DISH in this regard.

There ya go, the services in a very generalized nutshell. As compared to cable, they are both good choices.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Angelo, just a personal preference.

My focus with satellite is HD, so in this respect, I see D* as the Wal-Mart of HD-- the lowest common denominator with no real plans for the "niche" HD subscribers like me in the long run. My gut feeling is that Dish will have more HD in the long run. That and I appreciate E* tooting its own horn as the champion of HD. Hey, at least they mention it.

Again that's just my preference.

Best regards,
~~Nathan

Glenn_N

Auditioning
I am also in the same dilemma (Direct vs. Dish) and getting rid of cable. I have the Direct Tivo System sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. I am currently a Replay TV owner and love it. Therefore, I am skeptical in regards to Tivo. Replay has many more features than the Tivo System. I am considering returning the Direct System and going with the Dish System. Dish has a dual tuner PVR721 Receiver with 120 GB Hard Drive. The local Dish retailer tells me it is a better system than the Direct/Tivo system. Can anyone tell me pros and cons of the systems? Is the Dish DVR format similar to Replay? DVR is a must and I also need 5 feeds (2 for the dual tuner receiver). HD is not that important to me at this point. What is the best way to go? ;)
Glenn

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Dish's PVR's work with the Dish programming guide and require no monthly subscription fee. I have the 508 and I love it but it is my first venture into the PVR world. It doesnt suggest programming to you and you cannot record all instances of a program reguardless of the time and date like TIVO does. There is a search button which will find any time a show is repeated but you will have to select the individual broadcast, then say if its daily or monthly. I understand that its a more bareboned PVR, but someone with experience in both could tell you more.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I am considering returning the Direct System and going with the Dish System. Dish has a dual tuner PVR721 Receiver with 120 GB Hard Drive. The local Dish retailer tells me it is a better system than the Direct/Tivo system. Can anyone tell me pros and cons of the systems?
I can't think of any advantage of the 721 other than the bigger stock drive. Only if Dish offers a programming package a lot better for you than DirecTV would I even consider it. 721 doesn't have the $5/month PVR fee, but it costs a lot more to begin with, so that basically cancels out. The programming is quite primitive compared to both Tivo and Replay. It's basically just like a VCR, record recurring time slots, no fancy search+auto record features, or rec all episodes regardless of slot movement/additional episodes/longer episodes.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I have both systems, DISH for all my primary viewing including HDTV sources and DIRECTV because that's the only way I get the YES network (for now). One receiver and one dish for this "luxury".

And I use two PVRs, the DISH 501 and the newer DISH 721 (two tuners, 90 hours of recording, picture in picture, etc.) I also have a DISH 6000 for the magnificent HDTV that it offers.

Now that DISH has announced that they have reached an agreement with HDNET to carry this station (the only HD station in DirecTV's arsenal that interested me) for a rollout later this year, I am more convinced than ever that I made the right choice in putting most of my TV eggs in the DISH basket.

And when the DISH 921 PVR finally debuts (who knows when for sure?) this will provide HDTV recording capabilities and then for those of us with HDTV on our minds it will be a no brainer.

DISH started out with a lead in HD programming, DirecTV closed the gap (with HDNET) and with these latest moves DISH is running away from the pack in HD offerings.

All in my opinion, of course. Your mileage and local situation may differ (especially if you are not interested in HD or you must have the NFL and Major League Baseball packages. DirecTV has locked up the NFL for some time to come and Major League Baseball is still up in the air.)

And, of course, this is an ever-changing landscape so stay on top of things.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
NOTE:

I've merged two threads with the same general ideas being bandied about into one thread for clarity and conciseness.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks