Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

worst bonus feature ever??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#1 of 55 stewart borland

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 04:52 AM

Just popped my newly delivered Monarch of the Glen Season two into the machine. Eagerly clicked to special features and selected the interview...
... imagine my surprise when I discovered it to be the exact same interview which was on disc 1 Posted Image
Any other disc have a 'better' special feature? Posted Image
The disc is published by Acorn Video and it's the BBC Scotland series (for those of you who aren't familiar with the title)

#2 of 55 Matt<>Broon

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 04:55 AM

Well, I'm very fond of the 'special' French Mono track on the upcoming Popeye release. Posted Image

I've never really considered Trailers to be especially 'special' either. So I'd say any one of those.
S&S Greatest Films Club: 116 seen. Last Film: Un Chien andalou

#3 of 55 Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 915 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 05:24 AM

"Chapter Selection"

"Widescreen"

"Subtitles"

Posted Image
I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#4 of 55 Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 05:30 AM

LOL at Peter

I think the worst extra I have ever come across must be the techno party coverage on the Pitch Black DVD. Columbia France should have left that one out and given us DTS.Posted Image

Maybe this world is another planet's hell
Aldous Huxley

#5 of 55 Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 05:35 AM

The worst bonus feature ever would've been if the easter egg video on The Ring actually caused death 7 days later.

DJ

#6 of 55 ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa

Screenwriter

• 2,802 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 05:53 AM

- any commentary track with huge gaps and very little interesting info (e.g., Edward Scissorhands and When Harry Met Sally)

- text supplements or still galleries that automatically forward you to the next frame after a certain period of time

- features that make you jump through hoops to access them (Harry Potter, Memento)

#7 of 55 Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 06:17 AM

Color bars.

Charlie

#8 of 55 Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 06:38 AM

Quote:
I think the worst extra I have ever come across must be the techno party coverage on the Pitch Black DVD. Columbia France should have left that one out and given us DTS.

I would have traded the techno party and the redundant DTS track (not much different than the DD 5.1 track on this DVD) to make room for the outstanding Sci-Fi Channel TV special, Into Pitch Black, which extended the story in the same way that The Curse of the Blair Witch complemented The Blair Witch Project. Or there could have been a second disc, or a separate DTS release.

Into Pitch Black, according to Sci-Fi, allowed viewers to "learn more about the survivors of the crashed deep space transport Hunter-Gratzner, including psychopathic, escaped convict Riddick, and the desolate and deadly planet where they all crash landed." It was an hourlong special that ran about 45 minutes without commercials.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#9 of 55 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 3,997 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 06:40 AM

What about "Action Overload, the hottest scenes from the movie music-video style"?
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#10 of 55 Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 06:44 AM

Quote:
What about "Action Overload, the hottest scenes from the movie music-video style"

Bruckheiomer stylePosted Image I think that action overlaod is mostl present on bruckheimer produced titles (gone in 60s)

I didn't know about that TV special, Randy, cheersPosted Image

Maybe this world is another planet's hell
Aldous Huxley

#11 of 55 EricSunde

EricSunde

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 06:53 AM

Direct from The Jungle Book Limited Issue DVD:

-Full-Color Character Character Artwork on Disc

I think this was a "Special Feature" of all the Limited Issue Disney Animated Films, but I don't have them all in front of me.
"Oh, no no no. What I just got is that you're like a total jacked up freaky-deaky crazy pants!!"
-Dr. Venture, The Venture Brothers

#12 of 55 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 08:06 AM

Not the worst feature but it has to be the most weird...

The Thermian soundtrack on Galaxy Quest. Has anyone played the entire film using this alternate soundtrack?
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#13 of 55 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 09:52 AM

Disney's artwork is close, but for me the worst feature was on The Commitments (which I returned). It actually listed pan & scan as a bonus feature Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#14 of 55 streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,388 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 12:19 PM

I enjoy reading these, but why not as a booklet insert??:

The Anchor Bay 'reverse side of cover' production notes.
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#15 of 55 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 12:27 PM

I would say the worst bonus feature would be on Canadian bilingual DVDs where they have reversable covers.....English/French on side one, French/English on side two.Posted Image What idiot made this decision? Why not English on one side, French on the other?Posted Image
Recently watched- Basic Instinct 2, Taken 2, Maverick(1994), After Earth, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo(2009), The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug 3D, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey EE 3D, Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars: A New Hope, Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith, Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3

"If this is to end in fire...then we will all burn together."

#16 of 55 BarryS

BarryS

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 04:13 PM

Well, I just watched the Glengarry Glen Ross DVD and there are some pretty worthless special features on there. Particularly the "J. Roy: New and Used Furniture" short film. This is probably the most worthless feature I've ever seen.

#17 of 55 Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit

• 332 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 05:00 PM

I have seen "Full Screen Presentation" listed as a special feature on the back of some dvd's. I think that speaks for itself.

Dean
"Earnest Hemingway once wrote 'The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for.' I agree with the 2nd part." - Morgan Freeman, Se7en

My DVD Collection

#18 of 55 Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 05:47 PM

Quote:
Well, I just watched the Glengarry Glen Ross DVD and there are some pretty worthless special features on there. Particularly the "J. Roy: New and Used Furniture" short film. This is probably the most worthless feature I've ever seen. Well, I just watched the Glengarry Glen Ross DVD and there are some pretty worthless special features on there. Particularly the "J. Roy: New and Used Furniture" short film. This is probably the most worthless feature I've ever seen.

As a fan of J. Roy director Tony Buba, I respectfully disagree.

DJ

#19 of 55 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 06:46 PM

"Reel Recommendations" Posted Image

#20 of 55 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,074 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 06 2003 - 10:57 PM

Quote:
The worst bonus feature ever would've been if the easter egg video on The Ring actually caused death 7 days later.

It didn't cause death because it was on DVD, not VHS. Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow