Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: "Die Another Day" Special Edition (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#1 of 188 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,779 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 04:34 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 188 OFFLINE   Chris James

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 04:44 AM

"Even more worrisome is the fact that I don't these films
are ever going to get better."

You left out "think." Just thought I'd help out a bit. Posted Image

Great review! I always liked ol' diamond face!

#3 of 188 OFFLINE   Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 04:50 AM

[quote] For those that have written me to inquire about the location subtitles -- they are all properly burned in here. [quote]
That's good news. Now if we could only get MGM to go back and fix Octopussy, The Living Daylights, and (especially) Tomorrow Never Dies!

-Lyle J.P.

#4 of 188 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 8,016 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted May 06 2003 - 05:04 AM

Thanks for the review. Like a lot of recent films (maybe I have gotten picky), DaD had some great scenes and moments, but the overall effect was less than the sum of the parts. I just didn't love the movie. Slavish collector and completist, I will buy the DVD the day of release. At least it looks like a great set of a great looking (minus some of the poorer effects) film. So there is that, Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#5 of 188 OFFLINE   Matt Naglieri

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 05:17 AM

Great review as always Ron. Thanks for the info on the subtitles. I will definitely be picking this one up soon.

#6 of 188 OFFLINE   Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter

• 1,266 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 05:56 AM

Thanks for the good review Ron but..... "Though director Lee Tamahori has implanted some of the greatest CGI and rear projection action sequences ever to be seen in a Bond film" I thought that this was the worst looking CGI I have ever seen. Especially the airplane at the end. Bond films dont need CGI.
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru ?

#7 of 188 OFFLINE   Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 05:57 AM

Nice review. I thought the movie was a huge let down after all the hype. But I must have it to complete my Bond Collection and it is a plus that the DVD is stacked.
We're Texas.

#8 of 188 OFFLINE   Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor

• 656 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 06:22 AM

I will gladly spin this disc many times.

Funny thing about Bond films and Bond fans: everyone at some point is a first-timer, and to them these movies seem new and fresh.

My first Bond film (in theaters) was also The Spy Who Loved Me (I was six), and I absolutely went crazy bugfuck over the movie. I thought James Bond was the coolest, the Roger Moore was the absolute badass, and that this sudden new world of superspies, exotic locales, and beautiful women opened up to me.

My Dad hated it. Thought the "real" Bond movies came out a decade before and that Spy was same-old, same-old.

Twenty years later, some new child watching Goldeneye probably had the same reaction I did. And at the same time, my jaded soul felt the same as my Dad did two decades past.

So there's probably a gaggle of Bond neophytes who think DAD is the pinnacle of Superspy Movie Achievement. I enjoyed a lot about Die Another Day, and will be getting it as soon as it's released.

But it ain't no The Spy Who Loved Me! Posted Image

Whenever the laws of any state are broken, a duly authorized organization swings into action. It may be the called the State Police, State Troopers, Militia, the Rangers, or the Highway Patrol THE CITIZENS AUXILIARY POLICE!!! These are the stories of the men whose training, skill, and courage,...

#9 of 188 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,779 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 06:27 AM

Matthew, Excellent point! First impression is a lasting one, and Roger Moore will always be my favorite Bond. The Spy Who Loved Me and The Man With The Golden Gun are my favorite Bond films (I know that purists will hate my second choice). I wonder about this new generation, however.... With movies like XXX, does Bond still hold up as grand escapism?

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#10 of 188 OFFLINE   Yousaf

Yousaf

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 06:52 AM

Well I'm pretty young and even though I saw a Bond movie when I was three or so I don't even remember which one it was, so I consider Goldeneye to be my first real Bond film. And I liked it. I've seen the other three Brosnan Bonds as well and liked them too, and intrigued, decided to watch some of the older Bonds. To be honest, they didn't seem all that special and given the choice I would probably watch the newer ones instead. What I guess I'm saying is that it works both ways...you old fogies think your Bonds are better, and us whippersnappers may prefer the newer films. Since most of them are more or less the same, it's all what you grow up with Posted Image

And to Ron:
Vin Diesel (as whatever character he played in XXX) lacks the refinement of James Bond, and so while XXX and sequels (if they are made) will make for a great escape, the ultimate superspy films they are not Posted Image

#11 of 188 OFFLINE   Woo Jae

Woo Jae

Screenwriter

• 1,143 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 06:54 AM

All the OO7 films are repetitive to some degree. But I still love them all. Posted Image Sean Connery still remains my favorite.

Thanks for the review Ron. Great job as always... TMWTGG (aka The Man with the Golden Gun is a FUN bond film that can't be overlooked. I mean it features Christopher Lee as Scaramanga who was everyone's favorite arch-enemy Sauron.
"Me? Master Ramen Chef? Nahhhh....."
I am Korean/Therefore I rule~

Anime: 628 DVDs Total: 1168 DVDs
Boxed sets,if collected as such, count only ONCEhttp://www.intervoca...on.aspx/WoosterManga: total count 401 volumes Series Completed: 21 Collecting: 32

#12 of 188 OFFLINE   Andy_MT

Andy_MT

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 07:37 AM

disappointed to hear the video isn't up to scratch though. from dvdfile ...

[quote] Unfortunately, this transfer is done in by our old friend, Mr. Edge Enhancement. (Sounds like a villain in a Bond film, eh?) I noticed some sharp and obvious edge halos in just about every scene, and it is quite distracting. The already-overpumped contrast only makes it worse, and the presentation comes off as too digital and unreal. It is a shame, because in all other respects this is a real winner. To be fair, the edginess here isn't as bad as some of the earlier Bond DVDs (Dr. No, Thunderball), but that it is here at all is a real disappointment. [quote]
why, why, WHY do they do it ???????

#13 of 188 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 07:46 AM

[quote] disappointed to hear the video isn't up to scratch though. [quote]

Ron's review seems to be in disagreement with DVDFile's, as Ron praises the video highly.

DJ

#14 of 188 OFFLINE   Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 08:09 AM

Ron lives in the land of bliss, for he is one who does not notice the EE.

Let him live in his perfect world, for the rest of us fallen shall forever be tarnished with the mark of the halo. Posted Image

#15 of 188 OFFLINE   Dmitry

Dmitry

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 08:27 AM

[quote] First impression is a lasting one, and Roger Moore
will always be my favorite Bond.
[quote]I totally agree. I must be a really hopeless Bond fanatic — my first Bond movie was Moonraker and I wasn't turned off Posted Image, but to me Roger Moore *IS* James Bond.

My DVDs

#16 of 188 OFFLINE   Ryan_TD

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 08:46 AM

I'm going to have to say that although I grew up on Roger Moore as Bond as well, I've much more enjoyed Sean Connery after going back and watching the earlier Bond films, but I think the last four Bond films are the most fun to watch, being the newest, they are the tits and ass of reference quality-demo material, plus Pierce Brosnan is a pretty good combination of all the other Bonds, and I hope he does at least one more(i know he has expressed ending his role as 007) btw this is one helluva long run on sentence, huh?. sorry.
[quote] Ron lives in the land of bliss, for he is one who does not notice the EE. [quote]
who cares what other reviewers on other websites have to say, ron's (although he probably won't agree to it) reviews have always been the most honest and accurate as far as i'm concerned. he tells it like it is, and by not being a "professional" reviewer/critic who does it for a living, ron hits the mark at a sometimes different angle which i find is unique, when i read his reviews it's almost like i'm reading a review that i or a friend of mine would write.
so there.Posted Image
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach...all the damn vampires..."

#17 of 188 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 08:47 AM

[quote] First impression is a lasting one, and Roger Moore will always be my favorite Bond. [quote]
I gotta disagree here. Even though For Your Eyes Only is the first Bond movie I remember seeing in the theater, Roger Moore is probably my least favorite Bond.

Connery, Brosnan, Lazenby, Dalton, and Moore, for me.

Best Bond movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Worst Bond movie: A View To A Kill, with Die Another Day and Diamonds Are Forever running a close second.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#18 of 188 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,369 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 09:05 AM

[quote] a "professional" reviewer/critic who does it for a living [quote]

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image If I could live off of free DVDs, then I'd earn a living at this "job". Hate to break it to you, but with a couple of possible exceptions, ain't none of us making a living at this. Really, virtually all of us are just like Ron - dedicated fans who've watched a lot of DVDs. If someone wanted to pay my $60,000 or more to do this, I'd lose the day job right away, but until then, it's just a very time-filling hobby, and I think it's that way for 99% of the other reviewers out there...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#19 of 188 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,779 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 09:34 AM

Let me tell you something..... Not one review I have ever written -- and I have done 400 of them so far -- mentions anything about edge enhancement or halos. I'm sure I'll get blasted by everyone for saying this, but I don't even know what halos or edge enhancement looks like. Does this mean I'm the biggest idiot on earth? Yes, perhaps it does. But I have quite a few friends -- some who reside on this forum -- that have no idea what edge enhancement or halos look like. I read the DVDFILE review after I posted mine. I went back and looked at the transfer again. I never saw any sort of "halo" effect in the picture. You would think if something was wrong, it would be staring me in the face. The reality is, if you don't know what to look for, you ain't gonna notice it. So, yes, my world is very perfect, and so is the world of many of us that don't look excessively deep into a transfer for any impurities that don't stand out to begin with. I am not knocking DVDFILE or any of the more "professional" reviewers out there that like to talk about these defects. It's their job to dig deep and talk about these things. Perhaps if I saw the same problems they do, my reviews would garner a little more respect within this community. I look at a picture purely for how good or bad it looks at face value. If nothing blatantly stands out as being defective, I don't look for it and neither do the highest percentage of consumers who buy DVD product. I stand behind my comments about the quality of this transfer.

Ronald J Epstein

#20 of 188 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,592 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 10:03 AM

[quote] I don't even know what halos or edge enhancement looks like....I have quite a few friends -- some who reside on this forum -- that have no idea what edge enhancement or halos look like. [quote]
This is surprising, given the number of times the EE issue has been discussed and the following link has been posted in this forum:

http://www.videophil..._EE/Page_01.htm

Reading it, and viewing the examples in it, makes quite clear what EE is and what it looks like.

This image (from T2 UE) shows it quite clearly:

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users