What's new

Buying a plasma TV: local vs on-line? (1 Viewer)

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator
I've been looking at getting a plasma TV and would appreciate any thoughts on the pros and cons of buying it locally vs ordering one on-line. I can save about $800 - $1000 ordering on-line, but was wondering if servicing would be a problem (and how are plasmas in general on reliability)?

I'm very interested in the Panasonic 42". Should the local Panasonic authorized repair center here where I live be able to service it?

Thanks,

Jack_TN

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
I bought my Panny 42" on-line from an authorized dealer and saved about $1500 over local retailers. The Panny is double-boxed and strapped to a small pallet. The outer carton has a "shock watch" on the outside to indicate rough handling. Mine was shipped to California from Washington D.C. without any problems.

The consumer model Panny has in-home service, while the commercial display requires it to be shipped (at your expense) to service center. I you buy using a major credit card, you can double the warranty.

-Steve

Davis

Agent
Dell is running 20% off through Wednesday on plasma units. Their policy pretty much allows a full return for credit within 30 days. Hard to see where you could go wrong.

I have heard horror stories about some online suppliers, and the chances of problems with a plasma would really worry me.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Bought my 42" Panny thru Dell back in December and had no problems. Given the $ savings, that seems to be your best bet.

Rob

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
I think that Dell only sells the commercial version, which does not have in-home warranty service (i.e you are required to send it to a service center at your expense).

-Steve

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to all for the comments. I knew that some places sell the commercial version of the Panny, but didn't realize the difference in warantees. I'll be sure to check that wherever I buy.

The money I could save by ordering on-line would sure help toward letting me get a better audio system to go with it :)

Jack_TN

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen quite a few plasmas with bad pixels right out of the box so make certain the return policy is good.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks