What's new

Any Word On A Possible SE Of "The American President"?? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Rob Reiner's and Aaron Sorkin's fabulous 1995 effort, The American President, has been one of my favorite films since I first viewed it a few years back. You?

Was wondering if, through the proverbial HTF Disc Grapevine, anybody has heard about a potential Special Edition of this fine flick. With an anamorphic transfer (natch).

Current 1999 DVD edition is non-anam.

Doesn't look too bad....but you get those dang pesky "jaggies" on stuff in the background. Annoying as heck after being used to 95% anamorphic glory. :)

A nice Reiner commentary track would be outstanding here as well, don't you agree? Relating Rob's "Clinton adventures", during his 4 visits to the White House to visit with Bill Clinton and research the movie.

Wonder if Sorkin would do a comm. track?? That'd be welcome, to boot.

Who's with me?

Hands up for an American Prez SE!! :)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I too would like a new SE (ANAMORPHIC) of this title. Especially since this one is 2.35:1 in a genre that typically runs 1.85:1. If they make it, I will buy it.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Especially since this one is 2.35:1 in a genre that typically runs 1.85:1.
This is what I was thinking too.

Kind of unusual for an non-FX type of motion picture to get a nice wide 2.35 ratio. (Although, I realize, there *are* several non-shoot-'em-ups that offer us the "scope" AR.) :)

Pres. Shepherd: "Lewis, do you actually think there's a florist in the flower shop there that's planning an assassination on the off-chance I might be stopping by?!"

Lewis Rothschild: "It's possible."

:laugh:

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoy this movie, too, but it sure does look like crap. I have to wonder if the place doing the encoding actually looked at their "work" before they shipped it out. The jaggies are horrible and I can't believe this transfer is spread over two layers.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
and I can't believe this transfer is spread over two layers
Good observation, Jonathan.

I hadn't thought of that.

It is indeed labelled as "dual layered". Probably oughta look a bit better than this for Dual, wouldn't ya think? (Even for non-anamorphic product.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks