What's new

Is the THX worth $200 (1 Viewer)

BrentB

Grip
All else being equal,needing only a 6.1 capable receiver,is the THX capability in the Denon SR800 worth the $200 more than the SR700?
Would I just be paying for the THX label on the receiver?

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Personal opinion (and from a different make/model), while I like seeing the THX badge on my receiver, I have turned off all THX processing in my machine. If you're looking to save money for other goodies, spend that $200 elsewhere.
Just one man's opinion, though, and some others will likely tell you that badge the most important part of your system.

Best regards,
~~Nathan

GordonL

Supporting Actor
BrentB,

First, there is no Denon SR800/SR700. I think you meant Onkyo.

Second, you need to do more research to determine whether the price difference is worth it to you. You (and the others) incorrectly assumed the price difference is attributed solely to the THX label. If you look at the spec sheet carefully, the SR800 has more A/V inputs (6 vs 5), more digital inputs (7 vs 4), an additional S-Video input, an additional coax digital out, slightly better power numbers, and a better amp section (36.6 lbs vs 27.8 lbs). In the entry level price range (and to some extent, the middle price range), THX almost always means a beefier amp which is important if you're driving your HT to reference levels. Of course, you also need to take into account your room size and speaker sensitivity.

Don_Teel

Auditioning
Actually you may want to wait, the new Onkyo TXSR701 is gonna be THX certified at the same price at the present 700

George Pappas

Auditioning
Everybody above is correct.

The most important thing about THX is the badge on the unit and the THX intro on the DVD.

Think about this. There are even THX approved cables. What for? For Lucasfilm to make more money. Hey if you can have it in the theatres, you might as well take a stab in the home theatres.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
I agree 100% with George. Companies have to pay an outrageous fee to get their equipment THX certified, and who do you think pays for that? Surely not the manufacturer. I checked out the THX (lucasfilms) website once looking for these supposed "rigid specifications", and could find nothing more than smoke and mirrors.

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
My buddy bought a Carver amp a few years ago. The THX version came out the next year with the same specs as previous and a $100 price increase. THX alone is a ripoff.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Well, in addition to getting the 7th channel, which you say you don't need anyway, the SR-800 also has the following:
more dynamic power (front)
more power into 6ohm load
digital upsampling
39 dsp modes vs 13
7.1 multi-channel input vs 5.1
more A/V inputs
more digital inputs
choice of absolute or relative volume display
more zone 2 options
and weighs almost 9 lbs more

I don't think that 7th amp weighs 9 lbs and it doesn't come from the THX sticker so I would assume some beefier transformers and capacitors.

I'm not trying to support THX, just pointing out that there are many differences except besides the badge that everyone loves to hate ;)

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Shit! I didn't see your post Gordon.
But I agree with him. People are always to eager to jump on the anti-THX bandwagon. It seems to me there's $200 worth of differences even without the certification.
On top of that the THX stickers GOTTA be worth at least a few cents. :D

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Besides all the extras you get for that $200.
When the next upgrade comes along, you know you will,:D
that THX badge will pay dividends at resale.
Not only a few extra coins, but a faster sale.
George has already done the marketing for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks