What's new

House of Games-confused about aspect ratio (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I just watched "House of Games", a good movie that I saw years ago and really wanted to see again. I rented it from Netflix and when I checked out the details of the film it said it was 1.85:1 anamorphic, but when I viewed it on my 16:9 TV it had black bars on the top and bottom like it was 2.35:1 and the image was squished vertically making the faces fatter than normal. I have read the primer on anamorphic DVDs and nothing that I have read there explains why it looked the way it did. Can someone help me understand this?

Addendum--

BTW, the screen format on my TV was set to standard, not narrow, zoom or stretched.

TimJS

Second Unit
Jim:

This doesn't answer your question, but looking at the reviews for House Of Games would suggest that it is not anamorphic.

Digitally Obsessed

&

DVDFile

This film is probably in my top ten of Discs the studios need to revisit & do "right".

Tim

greg_t

Screenwriter
Tim is correct. House of Games is NOT anamaphoric. You'll need to use one of your zoom or stretch modes to get the proper aspect ratio and dimensions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks