What's new

Screen education? Panasonic PT-L300U (1 Viewer)

DarrinH

Second Unit
I am getting interested in this projector. I have read the reviews over at Projector Central and find it attractive in my price range.
Only thing is I will need to sit about nine feet from the screen. I am looking for a 90" picture from it with a throw anywhere from 12-15 feet.
I have no clue about the screen except that I do not want to pay a whole lot. Somewhere around $500, does that sound reasonable for a decent screen?
I can achieve total darkness in my HT so outside light is not a problem.

DarrinH

Second Unit
I guess I should have mentioned that I need it to retract, manually is fine. I have a false wall and the screen would have to come down in front of that and retract when not in use.
http://home.hpphoto.com/servlet/Link...37b3ae&size=lg

Sean, how did you come up with that number?
I do not really understand the range that projector central gives you.
What makes a good screen?
What type of surface should I look for?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Also, before linking HTF members' questions to other HTF members to some thread over at AVS why not link them to the appropriate threads here? If they want to search AVS they can go to AVS.

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
Darrin, I used projectorcentral.com's calculator. Each projector detail page gives you a shortcut to the calculator:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...=1949&metric=0

You provide the diagonal size required, and it provides the distance range for the desired screen size. I assume it utilizes factory specs to determine this distance.

As far as screens go, I have very little expertise - but I'm sure others will jump in and help you out!

Sean.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Darrin,
A 9' throw distance is about right for the screen size you are looking for.
I bought my retractable screen through Office Max on-line
they offer a 96" for $299.00

With light control in a room as you describe, it would be perfect for you.

Good luck,
Bill

DarrinH

Second Unit
16:9 Image Size 90 in. (diag), 45 in. (height), 79 in. (width)
Distance to Screen: 8.8 ft. - 10.9 ft.

With the range maximum at 10.9 feet does this factor in the zoom function of the projector?

With a 9' throw and about the same viewing distance the projector will be right above me.
Are there any drawbacks to that situation?
They say the fan noise for this projector Panasonic PT-L300U is very low.

WRT screens I read a bit about the High Power DaLite screens with this PJ, but what is a HCCM screen?
With the light control should I just go with a High Contrast Matte White screen?

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
Are there any drawbacks to that situation?
I don't think there are serious drawbacks. With the projector above you, it wouldn't be in your line of sight. If the ceiling mount's platform is somewhat larger than the projector then the platform itself will deflect / absorb some of the fan sound. If some sound reflects from the ceiling and is audible to you, you could install a ~ 3x3 foot section of sound deadening material (acoustic foam etc) on the ceiling above the mount, to help absorb more of this sound.

Sean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks