What's new

Will X2 finally make Warner Bros wake up??.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Marvel has been on a roll..Spiderman, Blade, X-Men, Daredevil, the upcoming Hulk and a pletherea of others are huge sucesses. Yet what do we get from DC properties owned by Warner Bros???...A lot of stuff in production hell. And the closest we have to a movie is Catwoman. Catwoman!?! Now, don't get me wrong I like her character. But, not what they plan on doing it.
Warner needs to get off their butts and hire a producer, director and writer that know the characters they are writing for. And for god sakes stop trying to reinvent the whole mythos. They say Batman & Robin killed the franchise. Well that is true. It was horrible. Their was more neon on the batmobile than in a nightclub. And whose idea was it to put nipples on batsuit??
I don't mind slight changes to the mythos. But, don't try to redo everything. Some of the ideas coming out about the new Superman movie were scary.
If Warner had some real guts. They would do a Justice League movie. But, before they go out and do a Wonder Twins movie. Why not try Green Lantern.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
For one, I think Warner Bros. will be making a big mistake if they try to do a BATMAN origin movie. Cover some new ground...start off when BATMAN was younger and do darker stories focused on one villain.

SUPERMAN...well...I for one think they should just leave the franchise where it is.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
the problem is WB doesn't just have the licence for the characters, it owns them.
you don't have a DC equivilent of Avi Arad shepherding the properties and ensuring that the right creative individuals are matched up with the right properties.

WB has 50 different priorites that come before turning out a good story/film with their characters.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Great points, Paul.

THE FLASH might make a good movie series. AQUAMAN and WONDER WOMAN might make good ones too. All three of these, done well, would make at least as much as DAREDEVIL or BLADE.

Better yet...JLA would be awesome because you could combine all of them..a la X-Men. One of the things I love about X-Men is seeing all the different heroes with different powers.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
If a $400 Million Spider-Man didn't kick them in the ass, nothing will. Marvel is going from strength to strength, and DC keeps paying Jon Peters :frowning:

It BOGGLES the mind...

Take care,
Chuck

Michael_Y

Grip
Since they seem to own the rights to a plethora of characters from the DC universe, wouldn't it make sense at some point to attempt an ensemble piece, like Kingdom Come, JLA or even something original, what with the remarkable success of the X-Men franchise?

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Since they seem to own the rights to a plethora of characters from the DC universe, wouldn't it make sense at some point to attempt an ensemble piece, like Kingdom Come, JLA or even something original, what with the remarkable success of the X-Men franchise?
You would think (see my post above).

In fact, given that many in their late 20s and 30s grew up with "Superfriends" populated by DC characters, you would think an ensemble piece would be an easy sell, if done right.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, they do have New Line working on a Captain Marvel/Shazam! movie, with William Goldman writing and determined to do a faithful adaptation. That's progress, I guess.

Part of DC's problem is that there are already movie versions of their two most iconic characters out there, and they're good enough that there's a knee-jerk response of "why bother - you won't do better than Richard Donner" whenever the subject is brought up with fans, so the interest doesn't seem to be there. And once you get past Superman and Batman, you start to wonder how well the likes of The Flash and Green Lantern would do. Likely not Spider-Man money, and would Daredevil money be worth what a Green Lantern movie would cost?

the problem is WB doesn't just have the licence for the characters, it owns them.
you don't have a DC equivilent of Avi Arad shepherding the properties and ensuring that the right creative individuals are matched up with the right properties.
Weird how that works, isn't it? It's like the opposite of synergy. It also means that while Marvel is actively shopping its characters, DC just waits for someone at WB to take an interest. And somehow the process leads to Steel.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
don't try to redo everything.
That would be my key piece of advice to Warner Brothers. For chrissakes come up with a new comic book franchise or two. Stop trying to remake things or drive them into the ground with endless sequels. There's a lot of comic books out there that can be movies.

Superman, Batman & any related characters: been there, done that. Move on.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
WB has 50 different priorites that come before turning out a good story/film with their characters.
That, is quite an astute observation. Warner Brothers still hasn't learned that with a great movie, the rest will fall into place. This is especially disheartening in light of the disappointed reviews that are appearing for The Matrix: Reloaded.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I have said before what hurts DC is that they don't have a Stan Lee or Avi Arad to make sure the characters are done right.
But, a Justice League movie would be awesome. But, I can only imagine the budget. That is why you get noname people to play the heroes. Then get one big name for the bad guy or one hero. This saves big money.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Let's not forget, it wasn't until the first X-Men film that Marvel got its act together. It used to be that Marvel bungled their franchise even worse than AOL/Time Warner, churning out direct-to-video crap like Captain America and The Punisher.

ColeKR

Stunt Coordinator
What ever happened to the Batman/Superman movie? Did that whole idea just die? Didn't they already do a Captain America movie. Two of them I believe.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Maybe they should give Mr. Freeze his own movie after Catwoman, that's sure to be a big success.

Add in a guy that runs around with a shield that looks like an American flag.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
The Batman/Superman movie was supposed to be directed by Wolfgang Peterson, but he passed on it (wisely) to direct Troy -- which should be out next year.

It's a good point that Marvel had botched their properties up until X-Men, but at least they learned a valuable lesson. With Warner Brothers constantly handing properties to Jon Peters after the awful Wild Wild West and Batman and Robin, it appears that box office catastrophe is the only medicine they'll take.

Any "new" Superman movie with Jon Peters involved WILL be unwatchable garbage.

Adam Brandner

Stunt Coordinator

If they do this, I'd definitely like to see it be his origin story, which would be in the 1940's, to set it apart from the all of the other Marvel super hero flicks that have been released recently (not that I haven't enjoyed them).

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I've got it: Val Kilmer as Thor for Warner Brothers! It could be like Hercules in New York except with Kilmer instead of Arnie in a romp through modern times.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks