-

Photo
- - - - -

Friends 5/1/03

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Chris Baucom

Chris Baucom

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 04:43 AM

I'm not sure if I need to indicate spoilers here, so I'll default on the safer side. Beware if you haven't seen the show yet.

I know lots of folks here have moved away from this show over the past couple of years, but did anyone catch last week's episode? I thought that on the whole the episode was pretty much on par with the rest of the season, but I am particularly interested to see how they handle the topic of
Chandler and Monica's infertility.

I haven't seen this topic covered very well by many (or any?) sitcoms so far. This is an issue that affects about one if four couples and I am hoping the show does it justice. In other words, I am hoping that the season finale isn't written around Chandler and Monica getting pregnant. There are a lot of neat (and realistic) ways they can handle this, like adoption, etc.

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 05:10 AM

I think they will try something like invetrofertilization (sp?). I can see them asking Joey to be the sperm donor or something along those lines. I predict Monica will be pregnant next year.

I've liked this season personally.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 05:42 AM

I think they should have Phoebe be a surrogate mother... that would be a fresh and exciting storyline. Maybe she could even have twins, or triplets!
/Mike

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Kevin Goodwin

Kevin Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 05:50 AM

They should adopt Rachel's baby, 'cause she's obviously not spending any time with Emma. I mean, what new mother has time to sit around the coffee shop?! Posted Image

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 06:08 AM

Right! My wife recently asked "Where's the baby?!" With the recent arrival of our own daughter, we know there is no time to be sitting around with your 'friends' at all! Is Rachel the ultimate bad mother? Why write in such a huge plot point and then totally ignore it? Why do we care if Rachel and Ross get together when both are obviously poor parents? How often do you see Ross bring his son around, instead seeing him fawn over another girl? Hey, I'm taking this WAY too seriously! LOL!
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Todd Henry

Todd Henry

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 06:25 AM

For those of you that care about Rachel's baby, please recall that they hired that Nanny (Melissa George). She is taking great care of little Emma and allowing Rachel to have some fun. And Ben of course lives with his mother.

Todd

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Thomas H G

Thomas H G

Screenwriter

• 1,034 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 07:49 AM

This was a pretty decent episode. I'm still watching it, but my enthusiasm is not anywhere near where it used to be.
My Collection at DVD Aficiando

boogieman187 on XBL

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,611 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 05 2003 - 08:03 AM

I think they should have Phoebe be a surrogate mother... that would be a fresh and exciting storyline. Maybe she could even have twins, or triplets!

Yeah, and it would be even cooler if she were to be the surrogate for her brother and his wife so we could get lots of "I'm having my brother's baby" sort of jokes.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa

Screenwriter

• 2,802 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 08:27 AM

Quote:
For those of you that care about Rachel's baby, please recall that they hired that Nanny (Melissa George). She is taking great care of little Emma and allowing Rachel to have some fun.

And allowing Ross to idly hang out at Central Perk doing crossword puzzles. It's bad enough that these so-called "friends" are constantly lying to each other, do they have to be lousy parents, too? Can't Ross do crosswords and sip coffee at home?

I am particularly interested to see how they handle the topic of Chandler and Monica's infertility

I hope they don't "handle" it at all. Let them be infertile and move on with their lives. There's been enough birthing on this show already. Hopefully they can come up with one more season of stories without having to rely (again) on that tired sitcom desperation move, The New Baby.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 10:20 AM

Quote:
please recall that they hired that Nanny (Melissa George).
Correction: that *really hot* nanny. Why aren't we seeing more of her?

//Ken

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Barry Woodward

Barry Woodward

Second Unit

• 362 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 11:21 AM

Quote:
And Ben of course lives with his mother.

Mothers! Posted Image

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   MichaelD

MichaelD

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 12:04 PM

Courtney Cox is pregnant in real life, so I bet the season finale is her getting pregnant.

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Michelle Schmid

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 02:49 PM

Quote:
For those of you that care about Rachel's baby, please recall that they hired that Nanny (Melissa George). She is taking great care of little Emma and allowing Rachel to have some fun. And Ben of course lives with his mother.

Scary when the audience cares more about what happened to the baby than the people who are supposed to be her parents! How do you know the nanny is taking great care of little Emma? Not only is no mention of the baby ever made anymore (and I'm sorry, nanny or not, new mothers do NOT behave that way!), the only evidence I've seen of a baby is the big, pink 'E' on the wall and Rachel folding what *looked* like tiny clothes during the last episode. Not even a walk-on shot behind the main cast's scene or a cry in the background. Fun is one thing but total neglect is ridiculous!

And of course, every young boy who lives with his mother should have no contact whatsoever with his father. In fact, his father should have ceased to remember his existence as should all his relatives and friends. Posted Image

I'm sorry, but I used to enjoy the continuity of this show with regards to their pasts, ex's, and children. Now they don't even seem to bother. When the show stops caring, so does their audience.

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 03:30 PM

Quote:
Scary when the audience cares more about what happened to the baby than the people who are supposed to be her parents! How do you know the nanny is taking great care of little Emma? Not only is no mention of the baby ever made anymore (and I'm sorry, nanny or not, new mothers do NOT behave that way!), the only evidence I've seen of a baby is the big, pink 'E' on the wall and Rachel folding what *looked* like tiny clothes during the last episode. Not even a walk-on shot behind the main cast's scene or a cry in the background. Fun is one thing but total neglect is ridiculous!

Absolutely scandalous, someone should call Social Services (or whatever the heck they are called). Poor Emma, is there a way we could get her away from her dreadfull parents? I know dozens of people this side of the screen that would love to have her, there must be something we can do!!!!!!

Quote:
Yeah, and it would be even cooler if she were to be the surrogate for her brother and his wife so we could get lots of "I'm having my brother's baby" sort of jokes.

Well, it doesn't really matter whose baby she ends up carrying as long as we FINALLY get a child birth season finale.

--
Holadem

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Barry Woodward

Barry Woodward

Second Unit

• 362 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 03:50 PM

Quote:
When the show stops caring, so does their audience.

I care and so do many others! Each episode shows only portions of the characters lives. We don't see every time the characters go to the bathroom or go to work but I think it's safe to assume that they do. These aspects only come into play if it's relevent to the story. The same is true for the kids. We may not see Ben or Emma for long stretches but I think it's safe to assume they still exist and are being relatively well cared for in the characters off-camera lives.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 10:04 PM

Quote:
Courtney Cox is pregnant in real life, so I bet the season finale is her getting pregnant.
This is true and it's the ultimate spoiler! (I don't know about the season finale)

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Chris Baucom

Chris Baucom

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 11:16 PM

Quote:

I hadn't heard this. That is great news for her and her husband.

Frankly, I am hoping that they do not go the route of introducing a fertility problem and three weeks later or by the season opener next season having them be pregnant. I know it is only a sitcom, but that would be just too contrived for me. Real-life folks, particularly people of the age the show is aimed at, struggle with this problem for years, often going through IVF numerous times with no success. Those who get to have kids at all are lucky. End of rant.

On another note, I thought Matthew Perry had a particularly strong week last week. His performance on The West Wing was great and his showing on Friends was good too.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow