Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Cable modem with USB

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Gary Neuwirth

Gary Neuwirth

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 03:46 AM

Last week my old cable modem provided by Roadrunner died and they gave me a replacement. This modem is a motorola and it can be connected to the computer via lan or usb. I went ahead and connected with the usb connection and it works fine.

But with too much time on my hands I wondered if one connection was more beneficial than the other? Today's computers come with both built-in lan and usb so one question I had was this: Does one use less computer resources than the other?

So which is better to use? Or it doesn't even matter...

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Kevin P

Kevin P

Screenwriter

• 1,444 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 05:31 AM

I believe the Ethernet jack is faster, but it might not be an issue at the speed cable companies give you. Try both and see which works better.

KJP

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Mike LS

Mike LS

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 06:30 AM

It does depend on your cable speed, but using the USB connection can strangle your connection. If you've got both types available, I'd use the ethernet.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 07:00 AM

there may be a small hit to your system resources using USB too. Nothing worth mentioning when browsing the web but it may have an impact when playing games online.