What's new

Best picture quality dvd (1 Viewer)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
It has to be the disney platinum snow white and the 7 dwarfs, and yes i do own star wars 2, and lord of the rings .e.e. , and back to the future the fixed version.Best restoration to a movie ever.:emoji_thumbsup: edit.... I meant transfer quality.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
SWAT7D has a good restoration but can it compete with the newer Monster's Inc.

Britton

Screenwriter
I would be willing to bet that few DVDs (if any) look better than Toy Story 2 Ultimate Toy Box edition.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Picture quality is subjective, you have to be specific

Are you talking about "Best representation of the projected 35mm image?" or "Most noise-free vibrant image"?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Snow White would be right at the top if it weren't for the mess that is made of the book that opens the picture. That's a hash of compression artifacts to the point that it looks like a bunch of writhing worms. Obviously, that disqualifies what is otherwise a wonderful disc.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
The Fox restoration of cleopatra is, to me, the most amazing looking DVD. Period!

Juan C Toro

Stunt Coordinator
The original post is not very specific. Are we talking animation? Restored prints? DVDs in general?

If so... Have you seen Treasure Planet?

JC

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
I've always thought that Frank Herbert's DUNE - Special Edition has one of the greatest prints ever. I am overly amazed at the picture quality on those discs. The vibrant colors. The near perfect film like image.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Star Wars Episode 2 Attack of the Clones is the most goregous disc ever! Everytime I watch it I'm floored!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
What i meant is transfer wise, considering the movies age , it looks stunning. I highly doubt any other movie from the 30s on dvd looks this good, so thats why in my opinion its the best looking dvd.:emoji_thumbsup:

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
If this thread is talking about 'picture quality' than you can base Snow White on its 'restoration'. That is a completely different concept.

FOTR get's my vote and Monsters Inc. isn't too far off.

John

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Watched The Devil's Backbone a couple nights ago and was impressed anew with the DVD format. A gorgeous, film-like image, with beatiful inky blacks and subtle colors. Fantastic!

david*mt

Second Unit
There are lots of great transfers out their. Of course, the digital ones always looks great. Here are a few of my favorites:

Goldmember
LOTR EE
Star Wars Ep. 2
Monster's Inc.
Final Fantasy
Shrek
Antz
Ice Age
A Bug's Life
Toy Story 2
Black Hawk Down
Gladiator
From Hell
Se7en PS
Amelie

By the way, Snow White looks as good as one could hope for a film of its age, but it can't compare to more recent films. And if you like colors, just watch Goldmember, its fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks