Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ahhh!!! There's a tiny spider inside my RPTV! Can this hurt it?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted May 04 2003 - 08:11 PM

Just a second ago, I saw something crawling on my tv screen, it wasn't until I got up to the screen that I noticed, to my horror, that this tiny little insect was on the INSIDE of my screen!

I tapped my finger where the spider was and he fell off the screen, but now I fear he's inside the guts of my tv and could cause all sorts of mayhem! Posted Image

Should I be worried?

Damn bugs! Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#2 of 9 Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 01:13 AM

Well....in short yes. Open the set up and look for little bugger. If u don't do anything, expect cobwebs messing with the PQ of ur RPTV. I had a similar situation, I found the critter, "removed" it, then for good measure sprayed some insecticide in various possible entry points around the set. That kept would be squatters out.

#3 of 9 Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 02:45 AM

What, did you just finish watching Spider-Man?

#4 of 9 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 05:01 AM

We get threads about this topic almost on a monthly basis now. Chances are the spider will not harm anything, and its lifespan will run its course.

#5 of 9 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 11:50 AM

Eric,

I decided to take your advice and open up my cabinet for two reasons, 1 was to see if I could locate the little sucker and get it out of their, and 2 was that i've been meaning to crack open my tv to clean the mirror and color guns for some time now, the spider gave me the perfect excuse to do it.

I saw no trace of the spider, but man, was my mirror and guns dusty! Posted Image

#6 of 9 David Preston

David Preston

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 09:21 PM

Do a search on spiders and see how many people have had this problem its been more than a few. Good luck finding it.

#7 of 9 Mike Hamilton

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 05:23 PM

Quote:
i've been meaning to crack open my tv to clean the mirror and color guns for some time now,

Please do some research about mirror and lens cleaning before grabbing the Windex and going to town!
Michael Hamilton
The Real Picture
Scottsdale, Arizona

#8 of 9 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 05:28 PM

Mike,

i've got the situation well in hand, this isn't the first tv i've cleaned. In this instance, I didn't use any cleaning solutions at all, simply a dry, soft, clean piece of cotton teri cloth and wiped the mirror and guns very gently. The biggest difference I saw, as usual, was in the black level, it appeared less foggy and deeper than it did before the cleaning.

As for the spider, it's a needle in a haystack, the sucker was only as big as a pencil point, so I knew that finding it would be difficult if not impossible. I'll keep an eye on things for awhile and keep checking the inside of my cabinet for webs. It was no sweat opening the cabinet, I simply removed the particle board on the back and the guns were staring me in the face, easy.

#9 of 9 Kevin. W

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 12:13 AM

Quote:
I didn't use any cleaning solutions at all, simply a dry, soft, clean piece of cotton teri cloth and wiped the mirror and guns very gently.

What solution can be used to clean smears if any are present on the guns or mirrors during assembly?

Kevin

Forum Nav Content I Follow