What's new

? on THX Optimzer vs. Video Essentials (1 Viewer)

Andrew Testa

Second Unit
I originally calibrated my TV (32" Philips direct view) using the Video Essentials DVD. I was pretty happy with the results, but they seemed a bit washed out. Yesterday I watched a borrowed DVD that had the THX optimizer on it. I'd never seen this before and thought I'd give it a try.

The results were very different from the VE. Is this to be expected, or should they more or less agree? The THX results were far more saturated than VE.

1st, the contrast settings were way different. With VE the contrast was pretty low. With THX, I could still distinguish the eight white boxes with a very high contrast. The brightness didn't change much.

2nd, for the color and tint calibration, The THX called for using blue film glasses. Is this film the same as the film strip that comes with VE? If they're different colors, I can see why the colors would be off. Using the VE film I got a very hot red, and had to knock it down several notches.

The THX picture is a lot brighter and more saturated, but still doesn't approach showroom torch mode. So was I okay using the VE film, or should I only use it with VE? And has anyone else using the THX optimizer come out with a very high contrast?

Thanks all,

Andy

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Andy,

bear in mind that the THX Optimizer tools on some dvd's are specific for that particular movie alone and don't really translate to everything. The Video Essentials dvd calibrates your monitor to NTSC standards and pretty much takes care of everythng you'll watch on it.

I generally ignor the THX optimizer patterns on my discs, I have my display calibrated using the AVIA dvd and have yet to run into a dvd that doesn't conform to AVIA's standards just fine. The THX optimizer IMO is useless unless you don't have a calibration dvd and want your THX certified dvd's to look as intended.

Andrew Testa

Second Unit
Ah, Thanks John. That explains why the movie looked so good, but basic cable shows looked like someone dumped a paint store on them. Back to VE then.

Andy

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Seconding the advice you received, Andy. VE endeavors to calibrate to the NTSC standard. After a lifetime of being subjected to Day-glo television images, accurate video can take some getting used to.

david*mt

Second Unit
By the way, how difficult is Avia to use? Do I have to go into the service menu? I am considering getting the 30'' Samsung and would probably buy Avia to calibrate it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
David,

AVIA is pretty simple to use, and no, going into the service menu isn't necessary, unless you see a problem with your picture that can't be fixed in the user menu, things like greyscale, picture geometry, red push etc... If you find that you must use your servce menu, AVIA will also assist you greatly for that too.

Otherwise, you should yield great results using only the user menus.

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
One significant problem with the THX optimizer is that it is in the corner of the screen. Light fall off on CRT based displays can be as much as 3 to 4 times less than in the center of the screen. When you adjust for in the corner on a 65" RPTV, you will probably be boosting the Contrast WAYYYY too much for the average picture level (APL).
If you've calibrated with VE, AVIA, or S&V HTTU, feel free to experiment but realize that in all likelihood you will need to go back to your calibration disc of choice and redo things.

And, some of the THX optimizer patterns are disc specific.

Andrew Testa

Second Unit
You know, before I started reading the various Home Theater forums, I would never have believed that a studio would actually think someone would reset their TVs for each movie they watched. Now, I'm actually suprised I haven't heard more people discussing this. My "you've gotta be kidding" threshold has been significantly raised by all of you nutjobs. :D

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks