Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

May FINALLY be going to LA next year...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted May 04 2003 - 08:45 AM

After at least ten years of wanting to go out to LA to see some of my favorite shows taped, I may finally be getting my chance next year thanks to a NECA convention my father goes to once a year. The last one I went to was Bermuda(or whatever island it was, they all look alike Posted Image )in 1998, but there was really nothing to do there other than look at the pretty scenery and gamble, heh. This one shoud be ten times more fun.

Here's a question, though. What TV shows should I attend, and how many of 'em can you request tickets for in advance?

The ones on the list so far....
Gameshow Network: Whammy, Lingo, Russian Rhoulette.
CBS: Price Is Right(20 Damn years waiting for this one!)
NBC: (Even though I'm a Letterman fan, my father will probably want to see) Leno

I don't watch as much TV now adays, because most of my favorite shows like Home Improvement have been long cancelled. And others don't have live Studio audiences like Enterprise, so there's no chance of seeing those filmed in person unless I know someone on staff...

Any other recomendations?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted May 04 2003 - 11:50 AM

Don't forget that gameshows tend to tape in huge blocks. They tape a month's worth of shows in a week (5 or so a day) so if you aren't there on the right week, you're not going to see them.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,072 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted May 04 2003 - 02:22 PM

Since I have been living in LA I have attended a taping of Married with Children, The Tonight Show and the Price is Right (twice). Way more tickets are passed out than there are seats for because they want to make sure every seat is filled. Plan to get to any taping very early.

The Price is Right is extremely popular. Both times I attended the crowds were huge and arrived early. When taping, they tape two shows per day. I would request early show and afternoon show tickets on the same day. You probably have to submit the requests separate to get tickets for both shows on the same day. Then show up 3-4 hours early and if the first show gets too crowded you might be able to get into the second show (this worked for me once). It has been a couple of years since I have gone but I assume it is the same set up.

The Tonight Show can be tough as well. If I remember correctly they start letting you in a 4:45 PM. When I attended, I arrived at 2 PM and there was already quite a line. I guess I was about in the middle of the pack. However, the guests weren't the most popular folks so I probably was lucky. I have heard that depending on the guests, the lines start forming early in the morning. If your Dad is a Leno fan you might consider checking him out here. He performs almost every Sunday and it is not that difficult to get in. It is a nice club and great entertainment. Plus, I found that you can often get front row seats up against the stage. I guess people are afraid to be picked on by Jay or the other comedians and yes, he did get me when I sat up close Posted Image.

Does Enterprise film at Paramount? They have a nice studio tour where they take you around the lot. You can't watch a taping but you might see some of actors milling about. When I went I saw some folks from Voyager. Warner Brothers has a nice studio tour as well. I believe reservations are recommended at both studios for their tours.

Have fun on your trip.
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users