What's new

I've been bit by the upgrade bug (again)! Anybody else? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Hello, my name is Keith, and I am an audioholic.
crazy.gif

I've been bit by the upgrade bug in the past few days. My latest acquisitions:
Sony SCD-C555ES multi-channel SACD changer (set to arrive on Tuesday). Will be used as a CD changer (and occasionally for stereo SACDs) in my main stereo system, and of course, for multi-channel SACDs in my home theater.
Energy e:XL 25 floorstanding speakers for my second stereo system. I'm loving these speakers. I got the rosewood finish, so they look as good as they sound.
Energy Active Crossover Network for my main stereo system. Allows me to connect my Energy e:XL-S10 10" subwoofer (from the home theater) to my stereo integrated amp and dial in the crossover. I love having the subwoofer for music now.
I guess this rash of upgrading was bound to happen. Prior to these acquisitions, I bought a pair of Totem Arro floorstanding speakers in August and a Sony MDS-JA555ES minidisc player in June. Both of these were for the main stereo system. Before that, it had been awhile since I had bought anything. So, I had been adding things here and there until I went nuts this week. Amazingly, I can't think of anything I want now. I will upgrade speaker cables and interconnects someday, but I have no desire to do so right now.
Anyone else have upgrade stories to share?
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on October 19, 2001 at 06:20 AM]

Sean_B

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I'm Sean and I'm have upgraditis
smile.gif

I just ordered a pair of Paradigm studio 40's for my mains replacing Studio 20's. $721 shipped from tsto.com
Bought J-50's from e-bay. $152.50 shipped.
Bought adjustable (up to 45" in heighth)rear speaker stands from furniture works (400a/h)for my studio 20's. $99.00 shipped.
On order. Audioquest Type 4 speaker wire. $72.00 shipped.
Will buy in the next month or two: Either a Denon 5800/4802 or external 5 channel amp.
Will buy X-box if I can get my hands on one without a bundle.
STOP THE MADNESS!!!!

I've been bitten, yet again. My new cinepro 2k6III will arrive tomorrow. The electrician will come Saturday to install a dedicated 30 amp power source. My wife may file for a divorce on Monday; and Tuesday her attorney will have a slightly used cinepro 2k6III. Oh well....
smile.gif

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I'm itchin for the Outlaw 950 after i saw the specs on it. And I just bought a new receiver a month ago! Of course i neeed a six channel amp too(or a 5 channel and a monoblock). Does it ever end!

Sean-D

Agent
You think that you guy's have got it bad?
I just bought a $3000 dollar preamp/processor 4 months ago and I'm already looking to upgrade! I need some serious help. Any rehab facilities you could recommend would be greatly appericiated.

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
I thought I was finally cured when I bought my 53" HDTV a year ago, but I'm already reading avs forum daily to try and decide which front projection I want to go with.
Sigh, it never goes away.
smile.gif

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
All of you people that are getting bitten that would like to do good for others should set up a fund for the poor people that can not upgrade even if they wanted too, heh.
------------------
In Him,
GH
My Home
Theater

EricTaylor

Agent
I seem to be upgrading at least once a month, last month I bough a Denon 3802 & Polk RT55s...I'm purchasing a SVS 20-39 next week!!!!
(Holding my head)
Can someone please STOP THE MADNESS?!!!!!
-Eric
------------------
Eric,
"Do not try and end your upgrading. That's impossible. Instead,only try and realise the truth."
" What truth?"
"There is no end to upgrading"

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I thought I was finally cured when I bought my 53" HDTV a year ago, but I'm already reading avs forum daily to try and decide which front projection I want to go with.
Ah, I can relate...Bought a 65" RPTV in February; took me all of a couple months to start dreaming of a front projector, which has led me to begin planning a dedicated HT room in my next home (which is probably 1 to 2 years away!). Also planning to upgrade most of the rest of my system to separates.
I have a very patient wife but I think I'm going to drive her to the insane asylum!
Not planning to upgrade immediately, however, as I'm taking my time and considering my options. However, it's killing me!
------------------
Scott

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well, the cure is learn enough so that you won't be sastified unless you are looking at something that is out of your budget. It will work (and is for me), at least until you manage to get that item almost into your budget.
My most recent additions are the Tempest Sonosub I built (it's a little over 4 months old now). And most recently I added an ExpressVu 5100 Sat receiver to replace my 4700 (anybody want to buy the 4700). God I love my PVR (well it does have a few annoyances, but they are minor compared to the benefits). I'm just not sure what's gonna happen when these things become common place. If nobody's watching commercials somethings gonna have to change.
Well, back to dreaming about new speakers and pre/pro/amps. Hopefully I can afford some new ones soon, this dreaming is starting to affect my school work
tongue.gif

------------------
Dustin
[email protected]
My Adire Tempest Sonosub

J

John Morris

Well, let's see... most recently bought stuff:
- Sherwood Newcastle R-956 A/V Receiver
- Mirage OM-R2 Speakers (upgraded my center Rear speakers)
- Toshiba SD-6109c DVD/Receiver (bought 2, returned 1 due to shipping damage)
- Denon 375RD Stereo Receiver (for ourdoor system)
- Parasound P/PH100 Phono Preamp (preparing for the Outlaw 950)
- Sony SAT-HD100 HDTV Receiver (bought 2, sold 1)
- Winegard HD8200 OTA HD Antenna
- Winegard AP8275 Antenna Preamp
- Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Analog Tuner (I don't even know if I am going to use or sell this piece?)
- Energy RVSS Surround Speakers (Upgraded bedroom to 7.1)
Buying in the next week or so:
- Pioneer SD-643HD5 HD RPTV
- Sony SCD-e555ES SACD Player
I had planned on buying a Cal Audio CL-2500 MCA amp but just decided that I would never use its' full potential and it only came with a 2 year warranty... then again, I'm gonna go "look" at it again on Saturday.
wink.gif

Other than these purchases, I am in a holding pattern, with some surplus equipment, just waiting to get my Outlaw 950... hopefully, in a few weeks.
smile.gif
Then I can decide what to sell, and what to keep. YES, I AM very ILL! 12 steps just won't be enough for me. Link Removed
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!
[Edited last by John Morris on October 18, 2001 at 09:43 PM]

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Glad I am not alone.
smile.gif
The thing is, my girlfriend and I are talking more and more about settling down. It's something we both want. However, she has a hard time understanding why I have no problem spending $800 on an SACD changer, but I have reservations about spending a couple hundred bucks on new curtains for my bedroom. Yes, my priorities are out of whack.
smile.gif

------------------
My:

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
I'm in the boat too.....
sold my Klipsch KV-3......bought the Klipsch Academy
sold my Denon 1601, Adcom gfa-555, and NAD 1600......bought the Denon 4800 and Poa-5200
bought a pair of Klipsch KG 1.5's for rear surrounds for 6.1 sound
sold Klipsch KSW-12.....bought SVS 16-46pc.....coming next week
Now after all this.......I really do think I am done for a while Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed
------------------
Home Theater Page

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
No problem, Keith.
How about a woman's perspective on this entire issue here, shall we....?
smile.gif

August: Yamaha DDP-1 Dolby Digital Processor. (featuring AC-3 RF input for AC-3 laserdiscs; more on why later).
September: an entire new speaker system, featuring floorstanding tower speakers for the front-end stereo channels; larger-than-ever bookshelf speakers for the side surround channels: and a new center channel speaker. New speaker wiring of a higher gague also included on all five speakers.
I even finally added a Dolby Digital wall display at last to go with my DTS wall display. What uniformity.
smile.gif

And that is only the beginning.
Coming up next:
Onkyo TX-DS797 Home Theater Receiver (the Yamaha DDP-1 was picked up for running the AC-3 lasers through the Onkyo's multi-channel inputs.)
A new 32" color stereo television: as long as it has three-line digital comb filer and component video inputs, with a flat-as-necessary screen, that's all that matters.
And that is not to mention the fact that I shall look next summer to not only bring in a brand new DVD player, the Pioneer DV-440 an early favorite, but also a higher-ended laserdisc player with an AC-3 RF output plug as well. (eg. Pioneer ELITE 59, 79 or 99 or a CLD-D704)
Yes, I've got the fever now myself!!!!!
smile.gif
I am about to truly get more serious about home theater than ever before.
------------------
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Oh, and by the way...
...I WILL BE MOVING TO 6.1 FORMATTING ONCE THE ONKYO TX-DS797 ARRIVES THIS HOLIDAY SEASON!!!!!!
That I truly look forward to.
smile.gif

------------------
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tina, a woman's perspective is always welcome here. I don't see much of it, unfortunately.
smile.gif
The more replies I see on this thread, the better I feel. Some people here have some real laundry lists of upgrades.
wink.gif

------------------
My:
[Edited last by KeithH on October 18, 2001 at 10:39 PM]

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i'm a poor college kid with no income and some $$ for spending in the bank (not much). here's what's new:
August: Onkyo 595, computer, SVS 25-31PC
last week: Sony SCD-CE775
early November: Tosh SD5700 or Panny RP91
next August (already planning!): probably a nice 32" TV (~$700) and likely JBL NSP1 package
August after that (that's a ways off!): Paradigm or PSB towers + center
i think i'm the worst here, since i have no regular income!! Link Removed admittedly the worst!
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Paul E V

Stunt Coordinator
My last purchase was awhile ago (I believe February) when I bought my second Pioneer DV-F727 ---- I've only got two things left to buy --- a big screen HDTV and a DVD recorder
OK 2 more things --- I need to replace my BA Sub and my Sony SAVs
------------------
'Pioneer 'ing a new level of Home Theater
My Equipment List / Copper & Rosewood Flexi idea

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I thought I was bad,just this week I have bought,Star Wars TPM,dts demo disc #4,a dts hat and a dts lapen pin...
smile.gif

Actually,the cure for my sickness is a new tv...possibly 2.I just cannot decide between a fp or rp set up.Wish I could really afford to get a rp for all my regular tv viewing and fp (lcd/dlp)just for movies..but that would be hard to justify.So then I thought,how about a nice used crt fp and use it for everything but then since it is used the bulbs would still burn out too fast and I cannot afford to change expensive bulbs that often.So then I though,how abut continue using my current tv and get either a fp/rp just for movies and night time use when the light is easier to control and when we are watching more that just cartoons and the christopher lowell show....
I guess it will come down to what I get the best deal on when I have all the $$$ together

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks