Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Should Black and White movies be watched with color set to min?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   RickardL

RickardL

Second Unit

• 472 posts

Posted May 04 2003 - 06:35 AM

How should black and white movies look? On my Sony VPL-VW10HT, I use a video mode which has both color and hue turned to 0. I feel that it makes old black and white pictures look best. If not, it looks slightly green. Changing the color temperature also changes the look of things but is that correct? Isn't that an indication that my set isn't calibrated correctly? I have not done any SMART calibration so that may be the case...

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Screenwriter

• 2,406 posts

Posted May 04 2003 - 02:13 PM

The purpose of turning the 'color' control to zero when watching black and white shows is to suppress colored artifacts such as rainbow swirls from comb filters, or in noise in the form of snow.

The color temperature is up to your preference. While the color temperature standard for TV is about 6500K, the lamp in projectors back when black and white movies were the norm, has a much lower color temperature.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.c...ynejr/video.htm

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted May 04 2003 - 08:02 PM

Rickard,

if your seeing a green tinge while watching B&W programs, your tv's greyscale has a green push that needs to be corrected in the service menu, that's what it sounds like to me anyway.

I used to have a Sony VVEGA that had a red push that caused B&W material to appear pink, I accessed the service menu and reduced the red output and that completely eliminated the problem.

Generally though, you shouldn't need to adjust anything when you switch to B&W material. B&W material is the ultimate test of the greyscale in your monitor, if your greyscale is off, a B&W movie will expose it.

Access the service menu at your own risk however, if you screw up you could mess your tv up pretty good.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,365 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted May 05 2003 - 02:38 AM

Hi guys John is correct in stating that if your set has a color tint will watching black and white it most likely has a gray scale problem. However, the gray scale is the luminance part of the signal, and this is different than red push (grey push or whatever) as this is a color decoding issue. Please remember that adjusting the cuts and drives will not fix color decoder issues. Regards Gregg

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users