What's new

Gladiator in HDTV on ABC (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Anyone catch this again on ABC last night? I thought it looked much better than my Gladiator DVD, there seemed to be just a little bit less film grain (from when I saw it on the big screen a few years ago). And, it was in OAR! Kudos for whoever got ABC to show it in OAR, and not simply crop it to fit into a 16x9 space.

I hated the edits done to the arene battle scenes, though. Totally watered down the action.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I caught it the last time ABC showed it in HD. I liked the picture quite a bit but simply can not sit through the commercials every 10 minutes. Gotta get Showtime or HBO HD sometime, but just can't justify the cost to the wife at the moment. "But we have most of them on DVD already!" I knew buying all of those DVDs would come back to bite me in the butt!:D

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I watched small parts of it and would agree (from what little I saw) it did look better than the DVD. However, since it was on at the same time as Spiderman which was showing on HBO HD I decided to go with the no commercial movie.

-Keith

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
I caught bits and pieces, definitely looked better than the dvd. Too bad the edits were choppily done and for WUSA in DC it was only DD2.0 (and pretty crummy at that)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Matt: I think you mean WJLA-7, WUSA-9 is CBS. If you're using OTA I suggest trying to pull in WMAR-2 from Baltimore for surround sound. Using a RS amp (1171), I get a solid signal here in Arlington. In fact, it's better than WJLA's most of the time. I recorded the whole thing, and the DD5.1 was kicking some serious ass. "On my command, unleash hell" indeed. Too bad it wasn't EX and had some very bad edits. Now I'm really excited to see what they do with Toy Story. Hopefully they won't have to edit anything for time, and it will be complete.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Jesse: yeah, I meant WJLA-7. Unfortunately I'm currently in an area where OTA isn't an option (even for analog really), so I have comcast digital cable w/HDTV (which I'm discontinuing due to outages, dropouts, and ridiculous pricing)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks