What's new

Hunt For Red October (2 Viewers)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Just got the box set today,I've been watching the first film,and I must say that the picture is pretty bad.
It'seems very dark,colors are dull,fuzzy at times,[like film grain]and "specks"[little white dots].
I remember when we visited Paramount,that how proud they were about their pursuit of perfection to clean up films,[even as new the Titanic]I just don't what went wrong here.
The sound is very good though no worries there.
BTW I have a very modest video set up[36" Wega Pana dvd player interlaced],so I can only imagine how bad it looks on a large projected screen.
I haven't sampled the other movies yet,I'll post my opinion on them later.

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to hear that. I had the original release of THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER and I got rid of it. It was probably one of the worst DVD transfers I've seen. It was VERY dark, murky and grainy. Just awful to watch. It was also non anamorphic. I would have thought that one of these days PARAMOUNT would revisit this title and put out a decent anamorphic special edition of this classic movie. Judging by your comments Lewis, they have apparently done this but have once again 'missed the boat' and put out a bad transfer. I don't doubt your comments. It brings back horrible memories of PARAMOUNT'S first attempt of this title. Anyone else out there that would like to comment on their copy of this re-release of THFRO ? Cheers.

-Mike

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I agree with Jeff. I've been hearing excellent things about the transfer for RED OCTOBER, which is why I ordered it recently.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad you heard that,maybe I should calibrate my set based on both of your valued opinions,since you both haven't seen this disc yet.:D
Like I said, I don't have a big tv which helps actually to"burry" the flaws,but it hardly needs calibration[it was done when I got it,and being tweeked ever since].
BTW the disc improves quiet a bit after the first 45 mins.
Clear and Present Danger looks better right off the bat.
Gotta go to calibrate,and rewatch about 2000 dvds just to be sure,thanks Jeff!:D

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Looks like Colin Jacobson needs to calibrate too!
He's review here.
Once you there you need to scroll down[all the way to the bottom] to the CE review link and click it.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Isn't that the way the movie is supposed to look? Don't ever forget that directors and cinematographers don't color everything the same, which is why it's unfair to compare one movie's transfer to another. Sometimes grain and muddy blacks are intentional, and if I remember correctly was the case here.

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Lewis, the link you gave is the review for the older HFTRO no the new one, the new one looks 100 times better, just to show the example, The Old HFTRO in the beginning has Ramius on the boat, its dark murky and grainy, the new one has no grain visible, its still dark, but thats how John M. Wanted to be, to show the darker side of the ramius character so we wont know what to expect (for those that did not read the book).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
He doesn't need to calibrate, he's referring to the original dvd release which does indeed look bad. I used to have the disc and got rid of it, and believe me that was a tough decision, THFRO is one of my all time favorite thrillers.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Jeff,

what led me to that conclusion was that he mentioned the boxed set which also includes Clear and Presant Danger and Patriot Games, and as far as I know, the new THFRO isn't available in that set, only the old non-anamorphic release.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I'm refering to the "Jack Ryan" collection set that will street on tuesday the 6th.This includes The Hunt For Red October,Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, Sum Of All Fears.
The first three has a DTS soundtracks as well,and all are anamorphic.
Hope this clears it up?

I also have the old box set with the letterbox LD rehash transfers,and no DTS[the first 3 movies].
This new set no doubt is an inprovement over the old one but,I was hoping for a better THFRO,maybe I was expecting too much,but I'm very rearlly post about picture issues,I thought this "stood out" in a negative way,hence my thread.
YMMV

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Now if we could only get BVHE to re-release CRIMSON TIDE as a Special Edition with anamorphic enhancement!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks