What's new

What has happened to SNL? (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
This was the worst episode I have seen in a long time. I thought the Ray Ramano show was bad, but yuck! This show lost great talent when Cheri O'Teri, Molly Shannon, Will Farrell, and Ana G. left...but did they take the writers too? I usually enjoy Weekend Update, but even that stunk. If the show continues at this pace, an American Television Institution's days are numbered. Here's hoping for another of many creative comebacks.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Scott, I've been wondering the same thing. What in the hell happened to the writers?

Tonight's episode sucked. The Count Chocula skit was absolutely horrible. I've been a huge SNL fan for quite some time but I'm now watching Mad TV much more than SNL. Much funnier.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I stopped watching this season 2 episodes in. Hopefully it's just a re-building period like the mid-nineties.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Here's part of the problem.
John Belushi
Died: March 5, 1982 of a Cocaine/Heroin Overdose

Gilda Radner
Died: May 20, 1989 of Ovarian Cancer

Michael O'Donoghue
Died: November 8, 1994 of a Brain Hemorrhage

Chris Farley
Died: December 18, 1997 of a Cocaine/Morphine Overdose

Phil Hartman
Shot by his wife

Eric F

Screenwriter
That's an interesting list, but at least half of those people were long gone from SNL when they died.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It amazes me that they can rehearse these sketches all week and apparently think they're funny.

Part of the problem is that there are too few sketches, making those that they do have go on far too long. The President Bush speech parody and the Count Chocula sketch were excruciatingly long.

Less Jimmy Fallon would also make a much better show. He's in nearly every sketch and he's not that funny.

It's been a pretty poor season.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
^
I believe he's 'refering' too the dreaded SNL "CURSE"!
Which is why the talent is 'leaving' the show, as aposed to 'coming' too it!:D

Eric F

Screenwriter
Oh, THAT. Well, I suppose it would be more of a curse if they actually died DURING the show, instead of after they left it. Everyone's got to die sometime after all, and drug abuse is not exactly uncommon in the industry.

The whole show is cursed AFAIC, and has been for years- I stay as far away from it as possible. All the best episodes are on E! and Comedy Network anyways.

There really hasn't been a good parody/sketch comedy show on in years. I agree that MAD-TV can be and is much better than SNL, but that's not saying much. Jon Stewart's Daily Show is probably the best on TV right now- I wish he'd stop doing celebrity interviews and stick with the wags and fake news reports. Lol.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I haven't watched SNL in nearly seven years and the few times I have, it's been absolute crap. The show peaked for me back when Dennis Miller, Kevin Nealon, Mike Myers, and Dana Carvey were still doing it. After that it was kinda funny, now it's just dreck. What passes for comedy on that show these days is just sad.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Here's an idea for a gimmick, epseically since I havn't watched SNL since the Farley/Hartman years.

Why not invite the surviving members from the original casts(best years, of course) and have two SNL reunion specials. Bill Murray can host, of course, and you'd have a huge talent pool to choose from, with plenty of old characters that could have the chance to return. Naturally, you could also bring in classic guest stars like Steve Martin to liven things up as well..

Could be a good idea for two two hour Sweeps Primetime Specials. It'll also prove once and for all wich version of the show was better, classic, or current ;).

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I stopped watching this show years ago because so much of what they were trying to pass off as humor wasn't funny to me anymore. Some of it involved in making fun of people with physical disabilities, or nationalities,religion, political beliefs,or lifestyles etc...Comedians years ago didn't have to resort to that level.Sure ,they would push the envelope on some of the routine but, at least the whole family could watch it and enjoy it. There's alot to be said about timing in comedy, and it's been said before that Bob Hope was one of the best.They were more than just comedians, they were entertainers.

RickGr

Second Unit
How can someone that has not watched in seven years say its not funny now? How would you know?

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I've seen bits and peices of the new stuff on Comedy Central, and occasionally catch some new skits when I'm up late enough flippng channels. Not one skit made me laugh out loud, let alone the occasional chuckle..

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
I thought the bit about the book reports from the internet was the best and only good thing about last night's episode. If anyone recorded it and can capture it, please message me!

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Early to mid 90's was the best of the series. Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, Cris Farley, David Spade, Julia Sweeney, Phil Hartman, Kevin Nealon, Jan Hooks, Tim Meadows, Dennis Miller.

You need good writers, but I think a lot of the stuff was done by the commedians themselves.

IF I watch a show any more I start to wonder why Jay Leno and his writers couldn't do a better job.

The perception I am getting now is the humor is like a bunch of liberals bashing a bunch of conservatives. The only salvation is Darrell Hammond, who is the only one in the last few years who is even remotely funny. Sorry all you Will Ferrell fans.

He created an awesome Al Gore character then got even better with Cheney, Rumsfeld, McCain, Donahue, Chris Matthews, and others. He would have been a top performer in any of the eras.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
What has happened to Saturday Night Live? They took a few weeks off and came back cold. There have been good episodes this season, but about two out of three have been mediocre to bad.

The Falconer was very funny, and the news would have been good had it not been interrupted by a Liza and David bit that was as long as it was unfunny, and the reprise of the bad singing joke that wasn't funny the first time they tried it. I normally think Will Forte and Fred Armisen are pretty amsuing, but not on that bit.

The high school teacher sketch was pretty funny, too, probably because Chris Parnell underplayed it which is a rarity on the show.

That leaves us about an hour of unfunny material and two musical performances from 50 cent.

Regards,

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Ahhh, the semi annual "Why does SNL suck this season, when it was so good before" thread.

It's had a few bad sketchs, but I still think it's better than it's been in a lot of years.

I don't think there will be a SNL reunion type show. Many of the people don't look back on their SNL times as that much fun. It's a lot of work, in a very competitive and backstabbing environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks