Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

which type of amp should you use for a sonotube sub?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   drexel

drexel

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted May 03 2003 - 03:09 PM

Since most sonotube subs aren't really convenient for attaching the standard parts express plate amps, which subwoofer amplifier do you/shoud you use for a standalone sonotube sub? Is there a subwoofer amp that doesn't have its internals exposed to be hidden in a traditional sub? For example... what type of amplifier would this http://web.tampabay....signs/index.htm dual shiva sonotube use?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   ColinM

ColinM

Screenwriter

• 2,057 posts

Posted May 03 2003 - 03:47 PM

There are a few component-style amps with sub features - NHT makes several, but the high powered ones are spendy. Buttkicker has one, but I haven't read up on it. I used an NHT SA120 and it worked very well with my 20*39 SVs.
You call that a knife?

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted May 03 2003 - 04:11 PM

Any amp will work. The features on dedicated "subwoofer" amps are largely superfluous if your driving it from a sub out jack of a HT receiver. Even some funky 70's era garage sale or attic reciever works fine if it has some power. On my sonosub in a stereo steup, I just use the third channel of a 3 channel amp- same amp that drives the mains.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users