What's new

Speaker system for under $2000? (1 Viewer)

Chirag

Auditioning
Hi:

I am new to this alias but I have seen some good advice on speakers and subwoofers here. I am also new in the market for a speaker system to be used 50% HT and 50% music. I listen mostly to rock/instumentals.

I am looking for floor-standing speakers/center channel/surround/subwoofer which will be used with either denon 3802 or 3803. I am looking for speakers and subwoofer within US$2000. Any suggestions? How are Energy C-5/C-C1/C-R1? Which subwoofer would go well with Energy? Also, I like Klipsch but they are a little above my budget - which might be okay if there is a really strong reason to go with it.

FYI...my room is 3400 Cu.ft. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Also, any suggestions to buy inexpensive Klipsch speakers with warranty in the bay area? Thanks in advance.

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the Dahlquist line of HT speakers at this URL.

Link Removed

Awesome sounding and great prices...

Alex
(search on Dahlquist,lots of posts on these here).

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Alex that the Dahlquist line should be considered. I extensively auditioned to Paradigm Studio 100's, B&W 604's and Monitor Audio S8's (as well as others that did not impress me). I liked the reviews the QX10's received, so I took a chance. I've never owned a product that exceeded my expectations so much :D

What I really like about the QX10's is that they have the best characteristics of the B&W's and Paradigms's, without any of the weaknesses that I identified. As you can tell I'm a big fan :)

For music, the QX10's capture all of insturments in different layers, while sounding very natural. They are just forgiving enough so that even older rock recording sound awesome. The only one I've heard that did not sound very good was Cheap Trick (probably not the system...lol).

Good Luck!

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

You shouldn't look here for reasons to go with a speaker, the only reason you should choose a speaker is if it sounds good to you. Klipsch seems to be a speaker people either love or hate, obviously you're not in the hate category.

Which Klipsch speakers are you looking at?

Marc H

Second Unit
I know I'm biased because I sell them but the QX10 are the best speakers I have heard for under $2000.00CAN. Highly recommend them as outstanding bang for the buck.
Timbral accuracy is amazing for their price; voices and acoustic instruments sound quite real. High quality bass response too; deep and well defined. No edge or harshness from the aluminum tweeter either, just smooth sweet and open sounding.
I like how they made their effects speakers, the QX20R, switchable between direct and dipole mode too for the best of both worlds.

JamesCB

Second Unit
Chirag,

If there is a dealer near you, take some CD's and check out Phase Technology. Very musical and accurate speakers. The Teatro Series would be in your price range, the PC Series may be close. That is my suggestion, let your ears be the guide.

Chirag

Auditioning
Thanks everyone! That was very helpful.

Hi Frank,

I looked at Klipsch's Reference series RF-3II, RC-3II, RS-3II and Synergy series subwoofer KSW12 - a package they had at goodguys. I auditioned this speaker system with LOR (I believe chapter 9) dvd. It sounded really nice to me. I also listened to Pink Floyd's Money from Dark side of the Moon cd. It sounded a little bright on the higher freq but I liked the overall sound. With Denon AVR3803 and the above setup, they were selling the whole package at $3000 before tax which would be pushing my budget a little (not counting the cost of cables). They have another package with the same speakers and sub but with Denon AVR3802 which they are selling at $2800 before tax.

I also listened to Energy C5 (only the mains). They were different from Klipsch - a little more subdued (I don't know if that is the same as neutral). I liked them too. I don't know how the rest of the Connoiseur series speakers would sound in HT setup (C-C1 center and C-R1 surround and I don't know which subwoofer). Any suggestions?

After reading the posts here, I got some new ideas but the thing is, I don't think there are any dealers in the bay area (Northern California) who carry Axiom or Dahlquist speakers. So I won;t be able to listen to them before buying either one. I'll also look into Phase technology speakers.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions - very helpful 'til now. Thanks.

MatthewK

Stunt Coordinator
I know that Fry's Electronics carries Dahlquist speakers in SOME of their shops. I think the nearest to the Bay Area is Sacramento though. That is probably a good 1.5 hour journey for you if they still have them.

The Dahlquists do come highly recommended by many people and audioshop (and Marc H) is a *great* to deal with.

Personally, I have Ascend speakers and love them.

What timeframe are you looking at for these new speakers?

Matthew

Chirag

Auditioning
Hi Matthew,

I am looking to purchase the speakers within a month because I have been waiting a long time for a decent HT/music setup and I think I have suffered enough without one :)

Chirag.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks