Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

new reciever problem?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Jay W

Jay W

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted May 03 2003 - 08:20 AM

I bought a new reciever earlier this week. When I was unpacking it i noticed there was a small piece of styrofoam stuck under one of the sink holes. I tried to get it out but it fell into the reciever. Could this cause any damage like a fire? I've used for a couple of days with no problem but am wondering if I should return it or not.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Arup

Arup

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted May 03 2003 - 04:42 PM

Just for safety's sake and sanity I would take it back to the manufacturer and have the styrofoam piece taken out.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted May 04 2003 - 04:46 AM

What kind of receiver? That's some pretty shoddy packaging if a piece of styrofoam fell inside it. And, yes, I'd exchange the unit. You paid for a non-contaminated receiver.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Jay W

Jay W

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted May 04 2003 - 05:00 AM

It is a yamaha HTR 5660 a fairly new reciever. I got it at best buy. Hope they dont give me a hard time about it as they have started charging restocking fees.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

• 1,868 posts

Posted May 04 2003 - 05:40 AM

[quote] pretty shoddy packaging if a piece of styrofoam fell inside it. [quote]
Just a thought ... Yamaha's AV Receivers come wrapped with a thick plastic taped cover, then inserted into the Styrofoam ends to secure it in the box. My U.S. made RX-V1300 arrived that way! My previous R-V905/RX-V595 and RX-V995 were packaged similarly.

It's possible that this unit was a re-packaged one since it's generally impossible for Styrofoam to break off into little pieces and fall into the cabinet air vents.

But then again, depending on the packaging processes for the HTR AV Receivers, ... my assumptions could be wrong!!! Posted Image

If Best Buy gives you a hard time, have their technicians use compressed air to blow that little sucker out! It's only light as air Styrofoam.

Phil
My HT Enthusiasts Google Website
---- Toshiba 62HM196 62" 1080p DLP HDTV pic's (#1 in Consumer Reports)
DVD Aficionado (DVDAF) on-going list.
Acquisition Rule #59 “Free advice is seldom cheap.” (Quark @ DS9)
JBL S-Series + SVS 25-31PCi (SN: 00034) w/NSD Upgrade!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users