What's new

WOW!! what a difference a little power makes! (1 Viewer)

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I have been upgrading my system a little. I went from an H/K AVR25...75wpc x 2, 65x5 I think, with an old 50W Velodyne. Now I have an Integra DTR-7 for my pre-pro, a 500W Infinity sub, and two Audiosource Amp Ones...one for each front channel giving me around 200wpc x 2. I had two sets of floorstanders...Klipsch KG5.2's (sensitivity 96d, 100W RMS rated) and a pair of Polk Audio LS50's (sensitivity 89db, 250W RMS rated) both 8ohm. I always thought the Polk's sucked so I stuck them as my rears and used the Klipsch up front, but I guess I never threw enough power at the Polks because ...DAMN!....hooked up to those 200wpc external amps they kick butt! YOW...frickin'...SAH!...is all I can say.
Since I have a matching Polk Audio center channel I sure would like to get another pair of the LS50's for the rear now. Anybody wanna trade :)
But seriously....if anyone out there has some high power capability speakers and is throwing a piddly amount of power at them, you might want to reconsider.

Oh yeah...and BTW....Rush 2112 makes a great test for your system!

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I had some Polk LS50's. Those speakers were so uninspiring that I almost got out of the HT game altogether. A host of bad memories come to mind everytime I think about them......OMG, here comes another bad memory.:frowning:

RobWil

Supporting Actor
That's what I thought till I threw 200wpc at them :D

BTW....sorry to dredge up bad memories!

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Well the single Amp One is only 80wpc, of course, although a pretty hefty 80wpc I might add. But, when I was listening at very loud levels I found the single Amp One to be near max power when powering the LS50's. These are 89db sensitivity, keep in mind and can handle 250wpc. For something like my Klipsch @ 96db sensitivity it prolly would have been fine. But, overall, very clean, clean sound even at very high volume with lots of power to spare.
Besides...I got the two off of ebay for a combined $240 shipped to my house :)

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Rob,

I agree I have a Klipsch KG HT. 5.2's as mains and surrounds. I use a Rotel RB-1070 and RB-985mkII with them and they sing. IMHO, nothing makes a speaker sounds its best like clean strong amps.

Earle

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Oh, so it was using the 89db speakers where it made the difference. Whew. I was about to ask about your hearing. :)

CurtisC

Second Unit
2112 yes,200 watts YES,polk nah, bad memories and pain in my wallet.I should clarify my pain came from rt 2000i's,wow,worst 1700.00 I ever spent,it still hurts.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Rob,

Or an orange, potato, or any other electrical cell. Ever seen a clock powered by an apple? :) Seriously though, some people actually use 12-volt batteries (maybe the kind used in cars, or smaller) to power their amplifiers and other equipment. And I say the optimum solution to power problems is not to buy more powerful amplifiers but more efficient speakers.. well, I don't practice what I preach. My speakers are 87db.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Seems to me I read somewhere that there is a trade-off when going with more efficient speakers. Can't remember what is was though :frowning:
Anybody ever heard this?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
It is amazing what a good amp can do.

I had some old Advent 1's with a Techniques 120 wpc stereo receiver. I used it in the VHS Pro-Logic days. The results were ... so so.

One Christmass, my wife gave me my first HT receiver: a 80 wpc Yamaha.

Bravely, I un-packed the unit to hook it up (all the while planning to re-pack it and take it back for something 'better'/more powerful).

I was stunned at the difference that the 'lower-power' receiver made. It was a whole new system.

More experienced members have already done the math:

Techniques stereo receiver, 120 wpc X 2 = 240 watts total
Yamaha HT receiver, 80 wpc X 5 = 400 watts total

Not all that power was available to just 2 channels, but the newer Yamaha had other quality improvements over the old Techniques receiver.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
It is amazing what a good amp can do.
Copy that!

Well the KG5.2's were just too big for the rears so I swapped them out with the Polk's last night. First time I've tried the Klipsch's with both amps. Wow! Big difference there now too. With their high efficiency you would have thought that 80wpc of clean power wouldn't sound any different than 200wpc, but it sure seems to, even at lower volumes. Even as decent as the Polk's sound the Klipsch just seem to make the music sound more alive and certain 'tinkly' type instruments as well as saxophone and flute just sound like they're right there in the room. These sounds just sounded way more laid back with the Polk's...still good but not as real. I've been tempted to upgrade my speakers but these just sound so nice I can't imagine anything sounding that much better. And I only paid like $375 for the pair on closeout! I think they were originally around $850 a pair.
But anyway, I am extremely happy with these audiosource amps and would highly recommend them for anyone on a budget looking for some nice, clean power. I paid $240 for the pair on ebay, shipped. I got the 1st one for $145 shipped and the 2nd for $95 shipped. You can find some very nice deals out there....just make sure and check the sellers feedback.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
See Rob. I run a Rotel RB-1070 with my 5.2's and love their sound. The 1070 is 130 watt/channel. I noticed at lower levels the speakers had more weight than with just my receivers amps

earle

RobWil

Supporting Actor
:emoji_thumbsup: Yo EarleD...what up!?
This guy must have 300lbs worth of Klipsch's in his HT!

BTW....anybody know what the plural of Klipsch is???
Klipsch' ?
Klipsch's ?
Klipsches ?
Klipscheses ?
Klipschii ? :confused:

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Want?? or Wannabuy?? :D

If you sell it I should get a kickback for plugging it for you ! :emoji_thumbsup:

Is yours the One or One/A??
Actually I might be interested!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks