What's new

Receiver recommendation please, spend my money... (1 Viewer)

Doug Taylor

Auditioning
I'm buying a 40" Sony direct view XBR and want to add a new receiver. My primary use is for TV & DVD. I'll be looking to add 5 speakers & subwoofer for about $2500 (happy to consider a recommendation for speakers too).

I'm looking at the Pioneer VSX-45TX, but would consider anything about $1000 or less.

What do you recommend?

Thank you

DBT

Arup

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the Yamaha RXV-800 or the Yamaha DSP-A1 which you might be able to squeeze out for slightly more than $1000. For speaker package get the Yamaha NS-200 for fronts, YST-SW800 for sub and NS-100 for rear and this will fit your budget.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
There are several different brands to choose from that will satify you completely. The problem w/ your question is that everyone is going to recommend their own personal favorites. For starters, are there any specific features that interest you? Is there a particular "style" of sound that you like?

JackS

Supporting Actor
Kevins right. The receiver that will fit you best will have the features you want most. After you make your choice, live very comfortably knowing you got exaxtly what you wanted.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I have the 45TX and love it. It's auto calibration feature is very worthwhile.

Other widely available models to consider would be the Sony 4ES, Denon 3803, and HK 525.

The Sony has remarkably comprehensive calibration abilities, but they are all manual unlike the auto setup on the 45TX. It is widely available at a very good price though, and has a 5 year warranty in the US.

The Denon 3803 is a highly regarded model with video upconversion. You can plug in component, S-video, and composite sources and output all video to the tv via one set of component cables.

The HK 525 has a lower power rating than the others, but can produce that power with all channels driven.

Mike Fenech

Agent
I've researched a lot on here, other sites, and the old fashioned way...listening. I'm committed to getting a 45TX, as soon as my tax return gets here. Second place goes to the 4ES.

Rex Carson...we miss you. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks