What's new

American Graffiti DVD- good or bad transfer? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I was wondering about the transfer quality of this dvd. I know it's an early dvd but it has just gotten a price cut at most of the major retailers and I was wondering if the transfer is worthwhile. Thanks!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I think that it is a very good anamorphic transfer. The film was shot in Techniscope (2-perf 35mm spherical 2.35:1) and the murky, grainy look to the film is inherant to this process, especially when used under low light levels.

It's a great film (Lucas' best in my book) and the DVD is well worth owning.

Gordy

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Great movie, and the documentary that is included is
outstanding. Over an hour long, and just about everybody
is interviewed. Very entertaining.:D

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
Looks very grainy but that is definately the way the film was shot and not a DVD flaw.
The documentary is incredible! Everytime you watch the film after you watch the documentarty it will be a very diffenerent experience.
I picked it up cause it was cheap too {£7} and basically cause it had Lucas' name on it and now, a couple of years later, its still one of my best DVD's.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
A definite must have. George Lucas did a great job of recapturing this time period.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I still remember seeing this in the theater with my cousins in Florida when it came out (almost 30 years ago... wow!), and the DVD accurately reflects the way the film looked, which was pretty grainy. As Robert Harris says, grain is NOT bad, and in this case it gives the film a bit of a semi-documentary feel, and IMO contributes to the timelessness of this classic. Don't hesitate, pick it up!!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
This was one of my first dvd purchases and is still one of my favorites.

Every time I've seen a thread complaining about the glacial pace of StarWars or Indy dvd releases I remember how much effort Lucas put into this early release. He really doesn't want to put out a half-assed dvd release, so the delay of Indy or the original SW movies has always been easy for me to understand.

This has been born out by the quality of the extras and such on the PM and AOTC dvd releases.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
If the opening shot of the diner seems a little more colorful, keep in mind that ILM has added the sunset to the background and removed the buildings that could be seen behind the diner in the original prints.

Neil

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Every time I've seen a thread complaining about the glacial pace of StarWars or Indy dvd releases I remember how much effort Lucas put into this early release.
That's funny, I read somewhere that Lucasfilm had nothing to do with the AG DVD.

Still, it's an excellent DVD for an excellent movie. The only thing missing is a commentary track.

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
There is a THX logo on the booklet but the THX sign doesn't come up before the film starts. I'd assume it is though.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
"If the opening shot of the diner seems a little more colorful, keep in mind that ILM has added the sunset to the background and removed the buildings that could be seen behind the diner in the original prints."

Which is why I bought it on LD instead! :)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
What does anyone have to say about sound quality?
Would 'love' too 'hear' about the differance between the LD & DVD.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks