What's new

A particular DVD feature that needs to be brought back (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I like the ease of putting a DVD in my machine and the movie starting right up; no obligatory warning screens, no fancy animated menus, just the studio logo and the beginning of the movie I'm watching. Warner Brothers had this one step process nailed with their earlier titles, they might still be doing it I'm not really sure. At any rate I hope other studios and makers of DVD incorporate this simple thing that is the ability to put in a disc and watch a movie without the need for any navigation or display of warnings. I realize this could be for naught since there might be legalities involved with displaying warnings against duplication or wanting to show off the neat menus some of these companies come up with, but in my opinion it's so intuitive and psychologically less jarring to put a DVD in and actually watch the program within say 3-5 seconds of having put in the disc. For me when the initial thought of wanting to watch a movie comes to mind, I don't want it to be impeded by anything. I just want to watch the movie.

What do others think? Are the warnings and menus getting out of hand and in the way of the actual movie or is it all in the presentation? Now granted I do appreciate certain things about DVD's like some of the fancy animated menus, I just wish there was a way to proceed directly to the movie upon loading the disc and then checking out all the goodies and reading the fascinating warning screens(September 9, 1977 Stockholm, Sweden is forever etched in mind) after the movie.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Right, they have forced trailers before certain movies correct? I also forgot to mention THX logos and the like. Generally anything that comes between the initial thought of seeing a movie and actually watching it. It's so refreshing to put in a disc and have the movie begin right away. I think I appreciate the movie moreso because I can watch a movie when I want without having to deal with layer upon layer of digital packaging.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
You know what I think would be nice? I think it would be great if you had the option of having the movie just start up, or the option of playing a handful of trailers before the main feature.

It would be fun sometimes to really get the theater experience by sitting through some trailers before the main flick comes on. I actually enjoy sitting through the trailers at the theater.

But certainly I don't want to be forced to watch them every time.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
On Warner titles, even ones that go to the stupid menus after the WHV opening, you can select Title 1 when the disc starts and go right to the movie. Most Image titles let you do this too. Most helpful on the Harry Potter movies which insist on showing you clips from every scene in the film before you can even start the damn movie!!
Even better is you can program the player to play all the titles in sequence, so you see the movie immediately followed by the trailers and stuff, laserdisc style, and the player goes into Stop mode when it's over! You can see all the extra stuff on The Matrix this way without having to do the white rabbit thing.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The Treasure Planet DVD menu was particularly bothersome because it takes about a minute until you get the menu loaded. I would not mind the movies starting automatically in DD5.1 as the default or at least letting your DVD player select the default language, with no subtitles displayed. If you want the menu then that is what the menu button on the remote is for.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I'm not very optimistic about studios minimizing the amount of time it takes for the movie to begin once the disc loads. I think they'll only increase the amount of content and clutter you have to wade through in order to watch a movie. But I think if more titles offered an auto play feature they might get positive feedback from consumers.

I also think that in reviewing a DVD it should be taken into consideration how fast one can access the movie or program. But that's just me. ;)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I wouldn't mind the following sequence of events. 1. put in the disk, 2. a trailer or two, 3. Studio logo and movie starts. Actually, I should say I wouldn't mind it as long as you can chapter stop your way through it. What I hate is when the studio logos, FBI, Interpol, and jazzed up animated menu can't be chapter stopped.

warning screens(September 9, 1977 Stockholm, Sweden is forever etched in mind)
I can't believe they never updated this thing! There are some warnings (particularly the blue scrolling one) that I swear where on VHS and beta tapes back in the day when Magnetic Home Video were considered major players! Come on guys, if your insistant on putting these on the discs (they should be on the end of a feature, not beforeit starts, and we should be able to chaptor stop through them!), at least jazz them up so their different each time, that way we might actually READ them! (see Fight Club)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Magnetic Video (now Fox) used the FBI warning in white lettering on a red background, always at the end of the movie. This continued until the first Fox DVDs came out, which now have an updated warning with "FOX" written repeatedly in the background of the red screen, and they play at the very beginning of the disc. Not sure how it looked on their last LD releases.
One of these days I'm gonna make a tape called The FBI Warning Anthology, with every known style of FBI warning copied onto it :D

Geo Gabor

Stunt Coordinator
The worst example I've seen is The Music Man, which defaults to a featurette when you insert the disc. My personal preference would be to have the menu be the default.

The thing that makes no sense to me is the disclaimer about how the views expressed in the commentaries do not reflect the views of the studio blah blah blah. I could see that on the packaging, but as part of the DVD itself??? C'mon people.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I find it REALLY annoying that Paramount now shows the movie's rating for 10 seconds before the movie starts, and doesn't let you skip past it. (Jimmy Neutron tells me it's rated G, to make sure I don't get disappointed at the lack of bad language or graphic violence I guess.) They force that on you, yet cut off the blue ratings card at the end of the movie!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I hate discs that have that feature. I prefer to be able to put in a disc and go get my snacks, hit the bathroom and come back to a movie that's ready to play and I haven't already missed the first 5 minutes.

I'm not a fan of forced trailers, but I don't hate them either. I would like the option (as someone mentioned above) to watch trailers before the feature (especially for old movies!!).

I do hate to insert a movie and go to the kitchen to grab a snack and find that I missed the first minute. I absolutely hate that!! I don't see the big deal with the disc loading to a menu and then pressing play.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
You have to time it so the beer is in your hands before you put the disc in.

Beer in left hand.

DVD in right.

Put it in.

Movie.

happy
burp
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks