Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Capacitor change in preamp

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Yogi

Yogi

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted May 02 2003 - 04:18 AM

I am going to replace the output capacitors in my ASL 2004DT preamp with auricaps. I have never done something like this. So are there any special skills I need to acquire before I embark on this endevour? Any special tools apart from a saudering iron some silver solder? I am thinking its a plain pull out the old cap and put the new one in and solder away. I did some soldering about 15 yrs back but it was simple soldering of wires. So please advice me if there is anything else that I should know about. Also what kind of improvement should I hope to see with this change? Any advice to this novice would be greatly appreciated.
The truth is not out there but within you.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   GaryBo

GaryBo

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted May 02 2003 - 05:06 AM

Hi Yogi,

Cap rolling is just as fun as tube rolling IMO. Auricaps and Hovlands sound accurate and "hifi-ish", foil/paper/oil sounds a little smoother on the top end, and teflon (there are some cheap Russian teflon caps on the market now that look interesting though I havn't tried them) is also popular. Results will be dependant on the architecture of your preamp though, although to make a generalization the less you have in the signal path (and some would also say the B+), the more difference individual discreets will make.

The best advice I can give is to use a new (freshly tinned) bit on your iron if you havn't used it for a while, keep the cap leads as short as possible, clip a heat sink on the lead between the solder point and the cap body (to minimize the chance of frying an expensive part), and watch the polarity on the cap when you install them.

I have tried many caps in my Bottlehead preamp (my current favorite - great bang for the buck), and I am pretty happy with Hovlands. I know others who have used Auricaps and they are happy with those also.
Best,

Gary.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   GaryBo

GaryBo

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted May 02 2003 - 05:24 AM

Oh yeah - safety stuff.

Some caps can hold a charge (something like a battery), so discharge the ones you are removing by shorting the cap leads with a 1 meg resistor held with something non-conductive. This is a good practice to get into, some power caps can hold a hefty jolt if not discharged in this way.

When you have soldered the new caps in place, pull continuity on the joints with a voltmeter (on the setting that beeps when you touch the probe leads together). This is important, because just because the joint looks good doesn't mean that it is good.

Perhaps you should practice soldering a few connections before you tackle the caps.

Best,

Gary.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Michael R Price

Michael R Price

Screenwriter

• 1,591 posts

Posted May 02 2003 - 10:30 AM

Yogi,

It can't hurt to put in better caps. Also, if your amplifier has DC blocking caps on the input you can remove them.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Yogi

Yogi

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted May 03 2003 - 04:29 AM

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. Last night I changed the two output caps from Multicaps to Auricaps. I also changed two DC blocking Benning caps with Auricaps of same rating and two other Benning caps in the signal path with Auricaps. Took me two hours to do it mainly because of the inaccesability of the PCB (had to dissassmble almost everything). In any case changed everything and soldered them with silver solder. Hooked it to my system and fired the preamp. Initial findings are that the mid-range now seems a little more juicier with a little more body. The top end also seems slightly smoother. The bass is the same with either caps. Cant really comment on the soundstage or the image specificity. I am already loving the new sound. Currently breaking it in for the next 24 hours. Do caps require a break in? or is that unnecessary?

Thanks again guys for your suggestions. Love this DIY businessPosted Image
The truth is not out there but within you.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Allen Ross

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted May 03 2003 - 06:24 AM

i never knew that caps could affect the sound of a preamp that much, i can see where you would notice in XOs but i guess you will notice it.

Also have you measured the drop in voltage in the caps when you are putting it through its paces? because if you notice a big drop then you could think of adding some joules to that puppy, my friend is doing this to his fideck. he us using an external capicitor ban. it should be pretty sweet once he gets around to it
Member and Founder of the "Its Never to Big or too Loud to have in a Dorm Club"
Everyone in college should have a 9 cuft Tempest in their closest!

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Michael R Price

Michael R Price

Screenwriter

• 1,591 posts

Posted May 03 2003 - 07:52 AM

Allen, Yogi's changed the capacitors in the signal path, not the power supply. Adding more power supply capacitance could help, but in a preamp it's a better idea to modify/upgrade the regulators.

Yogi, nice work. You could try removing the output caps entirely, if there is not much DC there or your amplifier has an input cap. Or, remove the amplifier input cap. Then you can move on to things like changing opamps. Posted Image

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted May 03 2003 - 04:47 PM

If these are the laregr caps, make sure not to install backwards either and just don't let the iron sit on a lead for too long causing the cap to heat up.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"