What's new

New Panasonic DVD-S55S progressive-scan DVD-Audio player: Just $130! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Crutchfield has the new Panasonic DVD-S55S progressive-scan DVD-S55S DVD-Audio player in stock for just $130! Here is a link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&avf=N

Here's a picture of the front panel:

[c] [/c]

Here's a picture of the back panel:

[c] [/c]

The 'S55S looks to offer a lot for the money. It isn't exactly a looker, but hopefully it's a solid performer. I'm still thinking about getting a DVD-Audio player for my second system, and this one might do the trick. Hopefully Best Buy or Circuit City will be getting it, as I would like to see it firsthand.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
On a positive note, the remote has a "Group" button. That's very important to me, as I have no TV in the room with my second stereo system. The Group button should enable me to play most DVD-Audio discs without a TV.

Here's a picture of the remote:

[c] [/c]

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The sad thing? You'll pay more for cables than for the player!

I'm still on the fence about DVD-A, but looking at the Denon 1600, which I understand is also an acceptable DVD-V player. Maybe I should wait a bit longer?

Sathyan

Second Unit
If any of you get a chance to try this out. Please post a review here.

I'm also wondering how a Panny S55S (for DVD-A) plus Sony NS755V (for SACD) compare to the universals (the $500 Pioneer, the $1000 Yamaha, Onkyo & Denon, and the forthcoming $300 Pioneer) not for convenience but for quality on CD, SACD, DVD-A, and DVD-V.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I have seen the player, although I have not seen it perform. For $130.00, it is quite solidly build and its tray mechanism is very smooth and quiet (especially when compared to the JVC players in the same price range). For the price, and if it performs like my previous Panasonic RA60 DVD-A player, then it's a steal.

I already have a Sony DVP-NS500V for DVD/SACD and this Panasonic would be ideal to add on for the DVD-A capabilities. For a total cost of about $300.00 and a little more shelf space, I think this will be a better solution than the $270.00 Pioneer universal player.

Scott Quick

Agent
For $20 more, you can get the 5-disc changer... the F-85. I just picked one up at Circuit City this weekend. Be aware - they only have (1) player for sale in each store. Apparently Panasonic made a limited first article shipment. I know this because my old roommate was with me when I picked mine up.

After I opened it up and searched out it's DAC (Burr-Brown PCM1607K - this isn't officially released yet by BB, but it is the K series. The K series is the top 1% of chips off the line for THD and S/N performance. I was pretty impressed that Pany went with the K series for a $150 player!) So, after I told him about the DAC, he decided to go pick one up also because he wanted to have Progressive scan and DVD-A and a 5-disc changer. I've spent the last few months trying to convince him to buy a CP-72, but have had no success.

I'm not sure of what video chip is in the F85 though... so, I remain leary. I will be keeping my RP-62 for video source on my Mits 55" HDTV... at least for a while. I bought the F85 strictly for DVD-Audio though, so honestly, I really don't care that much.

I'm planning to upgrade the analog output stages this weekend... replacing factory opamps (NJR 4580) with AD8620's, removing muting transistors, upgrading the Sallen-Key filter stage to a MFB stage with an RC filter network output (reduces high frequency noise by about 40dB), and obviously upgrading component quality to metal oxide resistors and poly caps. :cool: So, that's the plan this weekend... I can't wait. :D

Regards,

Scott

MikeSRC

Second Unit
All the new Pannys (S35, S55, F65 and F85) use the same all-in-one chip solution that handles deinterlacing, MPEG decoding and even DVD-A. If you do a search for the S35, you'll find a few threads about its video performance. While it's not bad for the price, it's not up to the quality of the previous Panyy players with the Sage/Faroudja deinterlacing chip.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

That's the '3800, not the '3900. ;) No, the '3800 will remain in the main stereo system. I'm looking for a DVD-Audio player for the second system. Anyway, the '3800 ain't leaving my house. It's a killer machine! :)

Rich said:

I have seen the player, although I have not seen it perform. For $130.00, it is quite solidly build and its tray mechanism is very smooth and quiet (especially when compared to the JVC players in the same price range).
That's good to know. I have always been impressed with the build quality of budget Panasonic players. With some budget players, I've seen drawers that wiggle when they close as well as generally flimsy construction. The Panasonic players always seem to be solid.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I'm planning to upgrade the analog output stages this weekend... replacing factory opamps (NJR 4580) with AD8620's, removing muting transistors, upgrading the Sallen-Key filter stage to a MFB stage with an RC filter network output (reduces high frequency noise by about 40dB), and obviously upgrading component quality to metal oxide resistors and poly caps. So, that's the plan this weekend... I can't wait.
Step by step instructions please! :)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Keith,

I've seen the F85 as well, and yes, it's quite a well build changer. It's as least as well-build as previous generations of Panasonic DVD players. I think we need to keep in mind that this machine is being retailed at US$150.00.

However, the buttoms on the machine is soooooo small that you practically need a microscope to read the legend on each of the buttoms.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Danny, thanks for the info. and the picture. The 'F85 looks a lot like the 'CP72, 'CP67, etc. I think Matsushita has gone too far in making its changers small. Look at the display on the front panel? It's ridiculous! Frankly, I'll probably go with the 'S55S and buy a DVD-Audio disc with the extra $20. I still don't have Donald Fagen The Nightfly. :)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
The black F-85 at Best Buy looked very nice. And its drawer mechanism worked smoothly and quietly. And yes, the display & buttons are WAY too small. Luckily the remote is better designed.

FYI: Last night at Best Buy finally saw those Athena & Klipsch speakers talked about here. Going to check them out today with my new Thunderball CD, Ambassadors of Style.

LJ

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lance, I plan on heading to Best Buy this evening to see the 'F85. I'm still leaning to the 'S55S, but I'll consider the changer.

Has anyone seen the 'S55S at Best Buy or Circuit City?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Keith,

Just purchased the Panasonic DVD-S35S for my mom as a Mother's Day gift at Best Buy.

My local Best Buy have neither the S55/F85 in stock. Although if your local Best Buy has those machines and you purchase it before Sunday, you will qualify for a $20.00 Best Buy gift card, which will drop those already-low prices even lower.

Ryan,

On Panasonic's US Link Removed, the MSRP for the single-disc S55 is US$129.95 and US$149.95 for the F85 5-disc changer.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, if that price is correct, you may be better off ordering the player from a US dealer. I don't how much customs, etc. would set you back, though.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Danny, thanks. Well, I didn't make it over to Best Buy tonight. I'll be heading over tomorrow to see if they have either model. At this point, I just want to give them a look. I am in no rush to buy a player. While I don't expect there to be any real competition for the Panasonic players at these low prices, I would like to see some more reviews before I buy one of them.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
My trip to Best Buy was unsuccessful today. They had the 'S35S and 'F65, the two budget, non-DVD-Audio models, but did not have the 'S55S or 'F85.

I also went to Tweeter, but they had neither DVD-Audio player in their computer system. The salesman said he didn't know if they would be getting either model. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks