Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New Panasonic DVD-S55S progressive-scan DVD-Audio player: Just $130!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#1 of 68 KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 11:21 PM

Crutchfield has the new Panasonic DVD-S55S progressive-scan DVD-S55S DVD-Audio player in stock for just $130! Here is a link:

http://www.crutchfie....=0&cc=01&avf=N

Here's a picture of the front panel:

[c]Posted Image[/c]

Here's a picture of the back panel:

[c]Posted Image[/c]

The 'S55S looks to offer a lot for the money. It isn't exactly a looker, but hopefully it's a solid performer. I'm still thinking about getting a DVD-Audio player for my second system, and this one might do the trick. Hopefully Best Buy or Circuit City will be getting it, as I would like to see it firsthand.
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#2 of 68 KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 11:24 PM

On a positive note, the remote has a "Group" button. That's very important to me, as I have no TV in the room with my second stereo system. The Group button should enable me to play most DVD-Audio discs without a TV.

Here's a picture of the remote:

[c]Posted Image[/c]
My:
Second Stereo System ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#3 of 68 Dan Joy

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted May 02 2003 - 12:48 AM

Keith, Are ya going to trade your 3900 for it?Posted Image
GO BLACKHAWKS !!!

#4 of 68 Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted May 02 2003 - 03:28 AM

The sad thing? You'll pay more for cables than for the player!

I'm still on the fence about DVD-A, but looking at the Denon 1600, which I understand is also an acceptable DVD-V player. Maybe I should wait a bit longer?
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#5 of 68 Sathyan

Sathyan

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted May 02 2003 - 03:30 AM

If any of you get a chance to try this out. Please post a review here.

I'm also wondering how a Panny S55S (for DVD-A) plus Sony NS755V (for SACD) compare to the universals (the $500 Pioneer, the $1000 Yamaha, Onkyo & Denon, and the forthcoming $300 Pioneer) not for convenience but for quality on CD, SACD, DVD-A, and DVD-V.

#6 of 68 Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted May 02 2003 - 04:29 AM

I have seen the player, although I have not seen it perform. For $130.00, it is quite solidly build and its tray mechanism is very smooth and quiet (especially when compared to the JVC players in the same price range). For the price, and if it performs like my previous Panasonic RA60 DVD-A player, then it's a steal.

I already have a Sony DVP-NS500V for DVD/SACD and this Panasonic would be ideal to add on for the DVD-A capabilities. For a total cost of about $300.00 and a little more shelf space, I think this will be a better solution than the $270.00 Pioneer universal player.
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#7 of 68 Scott Quick

Scott Quick

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted May 02 2003 - 07:20 AM

For $20 more, you can get the 5-disc changer... the F-85. I just picked one up at Circuit City this weekend. Be aware - they only have (1) player for sale in each store. Apparently Panasonic made a limited first article shipment. I know this because my old roommate was with me when I picked mine up.

After I opened it up and searched out it's DAC (Burr-Brown PCM1607K - this isn't officially released yet by BB, but it is the K series. The K series is the top 1% of chips off the line for THD and S/N performance. I was pretty impressed that Pany went with the K series for a $150 player!) So, after I told him about the DAC, he decided to go pick one up also because he wanted to have Progressive scan and DVD-A and a 5-disc changer. I've spent the last few months trying to convince him to buy a CP-72, but have had no success.

I'm not sure of what video chip is in the F85 though... so, I remain leary. I will be keeping my RP-62 for video source on my Mits 55" HDTV... at least for a while. I bought the F85 strictly for DVD-Audio though, so honestly, I really don't care that much.

I'm planning to upgrade the analog output stages this weekend... replacing factory opamps (NJR 4580) with AD8620's, removing muting transistors, upgrading the Sallen-Key filter stage to a MFB stage with an RC filter network output (reduces high frequency noise by about 40dB), and obviously upgrading component quality to metal oxide resistors and poly caps. Posted Image So, that's the plan this weekend... I can't wait. Posted Image

Regards,

Scott

#8 of 68 MikeSRC

MikeSRC

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted May 02 2003 - 08:04 AM

All the new Pannys (S35, S55, F65 and F85) use the same all-in-one chip solution that handles deinterlacing, MPEG decoding and even DVD-A. If you do a search for the S35, you'll find a few threads about its video performance. While it's not bad for the price, it's not up to the quality of the previous Panyy players with the Sage/Faroudja deinterlacing chip.
Enjoy!

Mike
SurfRemoteControl.com
SurfAudioVideo.com

#9 of 68 KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted May 02 2003 - 09:15 AM

Dan,

That's the '3800, not the '3900. Posted Image No, the '3800 will remain in the main stereo system. I'm looking for a DVD-Audio player for the second system. Anyway, the '3800 ain't leaving my house. It's a killer machine! Posted Image

Rich said:

Quote:
The sad thing? You'll pay more for cables than for the player!

Well, I won't. I'd be getting the 'S55S for a stereo system, so I wouldn't need six cables. Also, this would be for my second stereo system, so I wouldn't go nuts on cables. I'm using Monster Interlink 400mkII and Radio Shack Gold Series cables in this system right now. I'd probably go with Radio Shack cables for the DVD-Audio player.

Sathyan said:

Quote:
If any of you get a chance to try this out. Please post a review here.

Will do. However, I will probably look for it at Best Buy or Circuit City, which is not the best place to demo a component, to say the least. Posted Image

By the way, I agree that it would be interesting to see how the 'NS755V and 'S55S would compare to, say, the Pioneer Elite DV-45A.

Scott said:

Quote:
For $20 more, you can get the 5-disc changer... the F-85. I just picked one up at Circuit City this weekend. Be aware - they only have (1) player for sale in each store. Apparently Panasonic made a limited first article shipment. I know this because my old roommate was with me when I picked mine up.

Thanks for the tip. I was not aware that the 'F85 was out. I only saw the 'S55S on crutchfield.com this morning, and they didn't have the 'F85. I'm not sure that I need a DVD-Audio changer. For one thing, I have two changers in my second system right now (Sony SCD-C555ES and 'C333ES), so I don't exactly need another CD changer. Secondly, I will not be using the player for DVD movies (no TV, so no marathon movie sessions here). On the other, the changer would offer an element of convenience, as it might be nice to throw in a few DVD-Audio discs at once. Hmmm....

How is the build quality of the 'F85? Danny said the 'S55S is built well for the money, and that interests me.

Danny said:

Quote:
I have seen the player, although I have not seen it perform. For $130.00, it is quite solidly build and its tray mechanism is very smooth and quiet (especially when compared to the JVC players in the same price range).

That's good to know. I have always been impressed with the build quality of budget Panasonic players. With some budget players, I've seen drawers that wiggle when they close as well as generally flimsy construction. The Panasonic players always seem to be solid.
My:
Second Stereo System ;

#10 of 68 JohnnyG

JohnnyG

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted May 02 2003 - 09:48 AM

Quote:
I'm planning to upgrade the analog output stages this weekend... replacing factory opamps (NJR 4580) with AD8620's, removing muting transistors, upgrading the Sallen-Key filter stage to a MFB stage with an RC filter network output (reduces high frequency noise by about 40dB), and obviously upgrading component quality to metal oxide resistors and poly caps. So, that's the plan this weekend... I can't wait.
Step by step instructions please! Posted Image

#11 of 68 Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted May 02 2003 - 11:29 AM

Keith,

I've seen the F85 as well, and yes, it's quite a well build changer. It's as least as well-build as previous generations of Panasonic DVD players. I think we need to keep in mind that this machine is being retailed at US$150.00.

However, the buttoms on the machine is soooooo small that you practically need a microscope to read the legend on each of the buttoms.

Posted Image

#12 of 68 KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted May 03 2003 - 12:24 AM

Danny, thanks for the info. and the picture. The 'F85 looks a lot like the 'CP72, 'CP67, etc. I think Matsushita has gone too far in making its changers small. Look at the display on the front panel? It's ridiculous! Frankly, I'll probably go with the 'S55S and buy a DVD-Audio disc with the extra $20. I still don't have Donald Fagen The Nightfly. Posted Image
My:
Second Stereo System ;

#13 of 68 LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted May 03 2003 - 08:55 AM

The black F-85 at Best Buy looked very nice. And its drawer mechanism worked smoothly and quietly. And yes, the display & buttons are WAY too small. Luckily the remote is better designed.

FYI: Last night at Best Buy finally saw those Athena & Klipsch speakers talked about here. Going to check them out today with my new Thunderball CD, Ambassadors of Style.

LJ

#14 of 68 KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted May 03 2003 - 10:21 AM

Lance, I plan on heading to Best Buy this evening to see the 'F85. I'm still leaning to the 'S55S, but I'll consider the changer.

Has anyone seen the 'S55S at Best Buy or Circuit City?
My:
Second Stereo System ;

#15 of 68 Ryan Patterson

Ryan Patterson

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted May 03 2003 - 04:03 PM

The Canadian Panasonic site lists the S55 at $299.95. Say it isn't so! I really hope that's a misprint... even with US/CAN conversion the S55 should be no more than $210 up here.

#16 of 68 Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted May 03 2003 - 04:09 PM

Keith,

Just purchased the Panasonic DVD-S35S for my mom as a Mother's Day gift at Best Buy.

Posted Image

My local Best Buy have neither the S55/F85 in stock. Although if your local Best Buy has those machines and you purchase it before Sunday, you will qualify for a $20.00 Best Buy gift card, which will drop those already-low prices even lower.

Ryan,

On Panasonic's US site, the MSRP for the single-disc S55 is US$129.95 and US$149.95 for the F85 5-disc changer.

#17 of 68 KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted May 03 2003 - 04:20 PM

Ryan, if that price is correct, you may be better off ordering the player from a US dealer. I don't how much customs, etc. would set you back, though.
My:
Second Stereo System ;

#18 of 68 KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted May 03 2003 - 04:22 PM

Danny, thanks. Well, I didn't make it over to Best Buy tonight. I'll be heading over tomorrow to see if they have either model. At this point, I just want to give them a look. I am in no rush to buy a player. While I don't expect there to be any real competition for the Panasonic players at these low prices, I would like to see some more reviews before I buy one of them.
My:
Second Stereo System ;

#19 of 68 KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted May 04 2003 - 09:53 AM

My trip to Best Buy was unsuccessful today. They had the 'S35S and 'F65, the two budget, non-DVD-Audio models, but did not have the 'S55S or 'F85.

I also went to Tweeter, but they had neither DVD-Audio player in their computer system. The salesman said he didn't know if they would be getting either model. Posted Image
My:
Second Stereo System ;

#20 of 68 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted May 04 2003 - 12:21 PM

FYI, www.newegg.com has the new S55S for $119.99 with free shipping. VERY reputable dealer.

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow