What's new

Directors cast & crew draft 2 - academy awards done right (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
OK, some people have expressed an interest in doing another cast & crew (or fantasy producer) draft. Basically, this will be the same as the first one. It's open to either those who have or haven't participated in the first one, although if you have, you have to pick a different director this time. Also, instead of the traditional tourney at the end, I'm going to have an academy awards ceremony. We'll have secret balloting (via pm) for the nominees, and then a second round of balloting to pick the winners. I'll announce the winners from each category one day at a time. I haven't yet decided whether to do this just for this second draft, for both drafts together, or for both drafts, but separately. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm going to assign a few slots based on people in the other thread saying they want to play again. We'll go to 16 if we get that many, if not we'll have 8. Please, before you sign up, go to the first cast & crew draft and make sure you understand and agree to the rules (such as the shrinking 12 hour window to make your picks :)).

Any suggestions about changes from the first draft are welcome, but I reserve the right not to incorporate them. :)

In so far:

1 - George Kaplan
2 - Angelo.M
3 - SteveGon
4 - Justin Doring
5 - Jan H
6 - Dome Vongvises
7 - ChuckDeLa
8 - Cary T
9 - John Kilduff
10 - Scott Weinberg

Taken so far:

Director
Billy Wilder
Terry Gilliam
Terence Malick
Alfred Hitchcock
Luis Bunuel
Peter Jackson
Krzysztof Kieslowski
Stanley Donen
John Carpenter
Todd Haynes

Composer
Bernard Herrmann
George Gershwin
John Williams
Alan Menken
Tan Dun
bill evans, with the miles davis sextet

Cinematographer
nestor almendros
Darius Khondji
Haskell Wexler
Janusz Kaminski
Freddie Francis
John Toll

Screenwriter
hayao miyazaki
David Mamet
Krzysztof Kieslowski
The Coen Brothers
Billy Wilder
Howard Ashman
David Lynch
Werner Herzog
J.D. Salinger

Lead
Jack Lemmon
Edward Norton
Penelope Cruz
Brad Pitt
Juliette Binoche
Walter Matthau
Anna Paquin
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Gene Kelly
John Cusack
Lesley Ann Warren
tom hanks
cate blanchett
Ralph Fiennes
Jennifer Connelly
Naomi Watts
James Fox
Edward Fox

Supporting
Heather Graham
Judi Dench
Eddie Deezen
Leonardo DiCaprio
John Malkovich
Audrey Hepburn
Susan Sarandon
Ben Kingsley
Jodi Benson
Steve Martin
Raul Julia
samuel l. jackson
Robert Redford
John Candy

Costume Designer
Edith Head

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I came up with a pretty good idea this morning, though I have no idea who my cast is gonna be.

I'm in.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
In so far:

1 - George Kaplan
2 - Angelo.M
3 - SteveGon
4 - Justin Doring
5 - Jan H
6 - Dome Vongvises
7 - ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've figured out my whole cast/crew except the lead actor. I've got a feeling I'm gonna get ripped apart for my idea, but it'll be interesting at least.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I'd join, but I don't have an idea as good as the one I had before. Everybody's movies in the last draft were so great, I'd go see all of them. I'm sure this one will be just as creative. I'll sit this one out, but I'll be looking forward to your movies folks.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Since we're not doing a tourney at the end, there's no need to have exactly 8 or 16 people. I am going to cap this at 16, but if we have 11 people that's fine. Just so everyone knows, we'll start Monday morning with however many people have joined by then, or sooner if we get to 16.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I haven't yet decided whether to do this just for this second draft, for both drafts together, or for both drafts, but separately.
If you decide to do it for both, I suggest doing them separately, for 3 reasons:

1) could get very confusing if you do them together
2) there's likely to be overlap between the two drafts
3) two tourneys better than one!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
What kind of overlap are you talking about? Certainly there won't be two of the same film. The same actor might be up for an award for different films, but that actually happens in the oscars. So I don't think that's a problem. Nevertheless, I am leaning towards separate votes.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Could I be number 9?

I had much fun in the previous Cast/Crew Draft, although I got just one vote for my movie.

I could do this one better.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Will it still be in the same 5 actor-1 director-1 cinematographer-1 composer style? I'd suggest allowing more actors in this draft...maybe more directors depending on how epic the ideas are.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
One change I'd like to see: in addition to having a film score, would it be possible to have a soundtrack? The film I have in mind has a traditional score, but would also feature several songs by a pop/rock group whose music would fit well with the theme of the movie. Perhaps you could provide an optional "Songs by" category?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
In so far:

1 - George Kaplan
2 - Angelo.M
3 - SteveGon
4 - Justin Doring
5 - Jan H
6 - Dome Vongvises
7 - ChuckDeLa
8 - Cary T
9 - John Kilduff

I'm mulling over your suggestions, and will figure out slightly modified rules sometime today.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
In so far:

1 - George Kaplan
2 - Angelo.M
3 - SteveGon
4 - Justin Doring
5 - Jan H
6 - Dome Vongvises
7 - ChuckDeLa
8 - Cary T
9 - John Kilduff
10 - Scott Weinberg

OK, here's the rules. There will be 10 selections. 8 will be pre-determined and 2 will be wild cards. The 8 are as follows:

1 - Director
2 - Lead Performer 1
3 - Lead Performer 2
4 - Supporting Performer 1
5 - Supporting Performer 2
6 - Screenwriter
7 - Cinematographer
8 - Composer

The 2 wild cards can be anything you want. More actors, 2 more cinematographers, a costume designer, craft service, matte painter, whatever. However, any additional actors will be considered supporting roles. Each movie will have exactly 2 star roles. Notice also that you are free to mix and match actors and actresses as you want. If your film only has female roles, that's fine, or all male except one female, whatever.

A person can show up in more than one slot, but only once in a given slot. For purposes of this, slots are defined as

director
lead performer
supporting performer
screenwriter
cinematographer
composer

In other words, Woody Allen could be my director, and my screenwriter and Scott's lead actor and Dome's composer and Chuck's supporting actor and Jan's makeup man. But if he's one of Scott's lead actors, no one else can take him as a lead actor. Clear?

In addition to the cast and crew selections, each film will have to have:

- a title
- a genre
- a synopsis (as long or short as you like)

Other information (color, time, etc.) are also fine.

I thought my critic's reviews were pretty funny, and I don't mind if you have something like that, although, let's discuss (I'm thinking of limiting such things to no more than a certain number).

This thing will kick off tomorrow morning. Also, if you haven't made your nominations in the academy awards for the first draft, please do so, since that is functioning as a test for the awards we'll have at the end of this draft.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks