What's new

to grill or not to grill, that is the question. (1 Viewer)

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
how many of you actually prefer to leave the grills off of your speaker?

i noticed that i get better sound from the speaker when i remove the grills, but im far too paranoid to leave them off.

dust, moisture, debris all prevent me from staying with the idea of no grill.

what do you guys do? and do you take any precations if you do indeed leave the grills off permanantly.

personally i think speakers look far more attractive without grills.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Here's some food for thought:

Some loudspeaker designers take into account that speaker grills will affect the high frequencies in the response. Tale Wilson Audio for example.

That would mean by taking the grills off, you are listening to the speakers slightly brighter than they are intended, and also leaving them unprotected.

However, some speakers perform better without the grill to block high frequencies, and will show a slight improvement in imaging and detail.

My speakers were DIY and didn't even come with a speaker grills. I do have a pair of JBL S38s that I take the speaker grills off because they look so cool. To be honest, I can't really tell a big difference for it to matter.

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
with my speakers, you were correct,

i get clearer precise imaging with the grills off.
too bad speaker companies dont create alternative grills for speakers eh?

for example the tradition ash black cloth and a clear version of the grill.

too bad speaker companies dont take advantage of marketing grills that are clear. it would increase aesthetic appeal along with providing protection at the same time

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Myo-

You'd better keep that center covered, in case the little green men you stole it from come looking for it! It's a vital part needed for their trip back to Alpha Centauri. :D

Arup

Stunt Coordinator
My Yamaha NS-300 with their pearl mica cones look beautiful when the grill is off but the fear of dust and very little sonic difference makes me keep the grill on most of the times. On my ancient NS-1000x there was no grill. Just metal mesh on the woofers.

Scott_N

Second Unit
My Studio 100's sound better with the covers on but my Tetra Space's sound better without the covers.

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
I can tell a substantial difference in sounds when i take the grills off my rf3s. I'm not sure which i prefer better acoustically, but the copper colored cones look pretty sweet without the grills...

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
As stated, some speakers, including Paradigm design with the grilles on. My suggestion is that you do what sounds best to you. My 'digms sounded too bright with the grille off, so i leave them on, and only afterwards did i read that they were designed to have the grille on. Grilles DO make a difference in sound, not huge, but audible for sure. Do what sounds best, but I'd still recommend you put the grilles on if you're not listening, especially if you have pets/kids and whatnot. As for looks, yeah most speakers look cooler with the grilles off... but then who are you trying to impress...people that judge speakers by how cool they look?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks