-

Photo

To RP91 or not?...that is the question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 David Judah

David Judah

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted October 21 2001 - 08:32 AM

I finally got spouse approval for a progressive scan DVD player to go with my Mits 55908(I'm using an interlaced Technics DVD-A10 right now).

If I'm going to buy now, then I would get a Panasonic RP91, but I wonder if I should wait until after Christmas and see if they come out with a newer model to replace it.

Does anyone know of anything coming out in the next few months that I should wait for?

Thoughts?

Thanks

DJ
Lecktor: Then how did you catch me?
Graham: You had disadvantages.
Lecktor: What disadvantages?
Graham: You're insane.

#2 of 7 David Judah

David Judah

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted October 21 2001 - 05:17 PM

OK, OK...you talked me into it. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. Posted Image

Like I need any second opinions to upgrade.

Who am I kidding? If they come out with a new and improved version in February or March with a Guy Kuo/Joe Kane signature edition with a Faroudja/Sage/Silicon Graphics chipset, support for DVD-A & SACD(with bass management), and a 16 bit/72 MHz video DAC, I'm sure I'll buy that one too. Posted Image

DJ

#3 of 7 Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor

• 512 posts

Posted October 21 2001 - 05:19 PM

Has anybody tried a DVD-Ram disc with the new RP-91?
Does it take the disc in the plastic casing or is it necessary to remove it.

Thanks,

------------------
Trevor..
My HomeTheater S.E. Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated pictures due to recent upgrades!

Trevor 
 HomeTheater S.E.
(Sonically Enhanced)

#4 of 7 Joseph S

Joseph S

Screenwriter

• 2,865 posts

Posted October 21 2001 - 05:34 PM

You need to remove the DVD-RAM from the plastic case, but it does work.

My only demo was the Monster's Inc. Trailer on DVD via iDVD. I never got mp3s to work, but I didn't notice the mp3 button on the faceplate until I sent my RP91 off for Service.

The only good thing is that I don't have time to watch movies this week anyways. Back to studying... and note that most store-bought chicken comes fresh with Campylobacter for free. Posted Image

#5 of 7 Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted October 21 2001 - 06:26 PM

Good choice, David. Not perfect, mind you, but it doesn't miss by much. Extreme tweakability. You will see the occasional comb, usually on supplemetal material which is apparently not authored as carefully as most movies. During movies, almost never, and when it does comb in a movie, it is 1 or 2 frames at the most.

I highly recommend a thorough perusal of the manual during set-up. It will help with this player. Also, if you have any specific questions, there are obviously many members here with months of experience.

A couple of quick pointers. Setting the deinterlacer at "Auto 2" (U4) seems to keep combing to a bare minimum. I set the mosquito NR to +1. Setting the gamma to +1 helps darker transfers, but I don't use it for most. Any disc with objectional over-enhancement (ringing) is helped with a setting of -1 on the "edge" adjustment. Anything lower than -1 will soften the image too much (for me) and lose some detail. That's all I can think of right now....

#6 of 7 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,433 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 22 2001 - 01:28 AM

The RP-91 came out this spring, so I doubt that Panasonic will be replacing it with a newer model this year. I think the RP-91 is an excellent player, especially if you own a 16x9 TV. I use the Auto2 setting Robert mentioned, and rarely see any combing. The built-in scaler is a great feature for non-anamorphic widescreen material, as well as viewing supplemental material (since these features tend to switch between anamorphic, full frame and non-anamorphic letterbox quite a bit).

------------------

My DVD Collection

AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 4

#7 of 7 David Judah

David Judah

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 02:30 AM

Thanks for the pointers, guys. I'm looking foward to having progressive capability and the scaling feature will be a nice bonus too.

DJ