What's new

Disney Announces Changes in Platinum Collection Schedule (1 Viewer)

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
In today's report on Quarter 2 Financial Results, Disney announced plans to change their moratorium and Platinum timelines.

The big news is 2 Platinum Editions a year now, one in March and one in October! Instead of three-month sales windows, the DVDs will be available for 2 years. Instead of ten year moratoriums, they will be 5 years.

All the Platinum Editions should be out by 2007, and they've added 4 titles to the Collection - Pinocchio, Fantasia, Sleeping Beauty, and Peter Pan.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What on earth can there be to add to a Platinum edition of "Fantasia" after 3-disc "Fantasia Anthology"?

Sounds like desperation setting in to boost the bottom line at the Mouse House.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Fantasia: Platinum Edition will be a definite re-buy if they have it uncensored the 2nd time around.

Disney is doing it right. Two Platinums a year is much more do-able.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Fantasia: Platinum Edition will be a definite re-buy if they have it uncensored the 2nd time around.
That's the only reason I can think of to rerelase Fantasia.

If they do release it uncut, I'm guessing they're gonna put a disclaimer in the DVD to cover their butts.

norman j

Agent
I always thought Pinocchio would be one of them. Weren't they just about to, or already released Sleeping Beauty as a special edition? Is there a list of the releases and order somewhere on the web?

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
This is great news. I really want that Bambi as soon as possible.

Is thier a new list as to when each one will be released?

I am just glad I held off on the peter pan S.E. because I already have the L.E.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Looks like I can scratch the S.E. of Sleeping Beauty off my list. Hey Luke, do we have dates for these?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The only thing I can see missing from the upcoming SE of Sleeping Beauty is a commentary track. Really, all they have to do is change the cover art to say "Platinum Edition" instead of "Special Edition" and it's a PE.

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
Very exciting news. With HD-DVD on the horizon it seemed silly to wait until 2010 to release all 10. I hope the announcement of two rounds of Treasure Tins a year isn't too far away.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Yay, that means I will be getting Aladdin in eariler March next year and soon see the rest of the movies soon afterwards. :D Great news indeed.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Luke, can you provide a link where we can read more about this? The only news items I can find regarding Disney's second quarter didn't mention anything about the Platinum Editions. Thanks.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Great news! Especially that Pinocchio and Fantasia are now Platinum. I wonder if we'll still need the Fantasia Anthology box to have all supplements, cause I haven't bought it due to censorship - and won't buy the Platinum, unless it's changed.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
If true (not that I don't trust you Luke, I jsut like confirmation before I go off a secondary and non-official source), this is great news. One a year was was too slow. but two is much more reasonable. I also like the shortening of hte vault period, and the longer print times. I have to wonder though if when they say five years, does that mean five years total cycle (two in print, three in vault), or a seven year cycle (two in print, five in vault)?

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
This means I can get my "Little Mermaid" Platinum Edition earlier than later.

What can I tell you? I'm a major Ariel-holic, and I think both Sherri Stoner (the body model) and Jodi Benson (the voice) are lovely ladies. It's probably the Disney release I can relate to the most, and now I'll be able to get it sooner.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I'm still keeping the VHS, though. UNCENSORED!

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Yes, you can go ahead and give a listen to the webcast if you're skeptical, but you won't come away with anything beyond the short write-up I've put on the site. :)

No idea as to an exact schedule yet. They did say they wanted to have all the Platinums released by 2007, so even at a rate of 2-per-year, with The Lion King being the 3rd release, that leaves 11 unaccounted for. What that means, I think, is that Sleeping Beauty and Fantasia, for instance, won't be treated as Platinums until the 'next cycle', which the plan is to start again once HD-DVD is launched. The way I take it is the changes go into effect next year, so I guess Sleeping Beauty will be released as planned in September without the "Platinum" nomenclature.

It seems that HD-DVD is one of the driving forces behind the revision to these plans, according to Eisner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks