What's new

White Van Man spotted again (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This time he was in a Silver van, very pushy. "Would you like to buy some speakers..." Before he even finished his sentence, I said "No thanks", but he persisted. I got in my car and drove away. Beware Bay Area (this was in Cupertino), they are on the prowl.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
there was just a philly fox 5 problem solver report on the white van guys. they taped their whole spiel with a hidden camera and then had someone test the speakers out. one interesting thing is that the tweeter is labelled "twerter"

the brand of the speakers in the report was ephiphany

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I've had that encounter here in Spokane, WA and a buddy of mine actually bought some in Seattle (Ooops). It's amazing how widespread this is.

Scott

DarrellC

Stunt Coordinator
I can tell you from personal experience how they get their speakers. The speakers are imported into the US from other countries. They will buy a container at a time and grab what they can fit in the van each visit. When they sell those, they come back and get more until they are all gone. Most of the time they will tell their prospects that they were overshipped these speakers by UPS or FedEx and just want to sell them for cost. I have seen the paperwork and they are paying about $40-$50 per pair.

How do I know all of this? I own an import/export distribution company and handled these speakers in the past. That is until I found out what they were doing and then I kicked them out. We used to call it the white van scam.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Ed,

That's the point.. Why do you think they call the other
ones "Acoustic" ? Acoustic Research of course... because
some people do remember what AR did for this industry :)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Actualy I think Bose should just rename the company to
Blows.. But that's neither here nor there.. :D

KevinWEL

Stunt Coordinator
Man, is this scam still happening! I remember I was stopped in a mall parking lot right outside a stereo store by two guys selling speakers from a van. This was 15 years ago. They were trying to sell me "overshipped" stuff at cost. They used some JBL ripoff initials. Luckily I knew my equiptment. I hate those kind of people! :angry:

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
So are these guys that sell in the white vaz just a little more "scammy" then when my local arena that has the big massive t-shirt/stereo expos... you know the ones where you buy like a 12' powered sub for 14.00 or a tommy hilfiger shirt for 5?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks