Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

B&K Ref 50 - New Owner Needs Help!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   WayneF

WayneF

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 02:38 AM

I just set up my new B&K Ref 50 and have a question for any current owners of the Ref 50. I went into the speaker level calibration menu and the Ref 50 started sending the pink noise to all speakers. The front (Paradigm Studio 60s), center (Paradigm Studio CC), and side surrounds (Paradigm Cinema) all had very equal levels. The back surrounds (Paradigm Cinema) level was so low that I had to turn the level up to the +12 point. At this level it was still almost half the volume of the other speakers. I am using the B&K AV125.7 amp which does not have individual trim controls. I checked the wiring and it is correct. Am I doing something wrong? I cannot get both back surrounds anywhere near the level of the fronts or side surrounds. I think I may have a defective unit but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 04:13 PM

I haven't encountered this problem with my unit. Have you tried swapping speaker wires for the side surrounds and the back surrounds on your amp? It's possible the issue may be there and not the unit itself.
Master Poe: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Caine: I hear the water. I hear the birds.
Master Poe: Do you hear your own heart beat.
Caine: No.
Master Poe: Do you hear the grasshopper, which is at your feet.Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?Master Poe: Young man, how is it...

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Ted Pugh

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 10:18 PM

Did you try looking at your B&K amp and make sure that you do not have the Balance button pushed in unless you are running balance cables. That could be your problem. I run the 200.5 and this happened at first until I depressed the balance buttons for my rear surrounds. Ted

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   WayneF

WayneF

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted May 02 2003 - 12:11 AM

You guys are correct. I swapped all the speakers and connections around and the problem was always in just those two amplifier channels. It was the balanced/unbalanced button being depressed. I checked them before installation but must have hit one during the hookup of my other components. I called B&K tech support and was on the phone with a knowledgable tech within two minutes. He knew exactly what was going on and we solved the problem in less than a minute. Kudos to B&K for unbelievable access to tech support!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users