What's new

Need advice re: 65 inch Widescreen RPTV (1 Viewer)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Going to be upgrading to Widescreen soon. Need advice on choosing a set. Specifically HDTV features. Read: 1080i & 720p.

A HDTV monitor is an option for me as I don't mind upgrading to a set top box at a later time. This is the most likely scenario due to budgetary considerations. I've looked at a few here and there and am unable to find any information in the product specifications about 1080i. Will a set top box take care of this issue or are there some HDTV monitors that have 1080i? If so, what are some good models with this feature? I also want to get a set with 720p.

So there you have it, friends. Your mission: Gimme recommendations for good HDTV monitors with the above specs.

Thanks in advance.

D

John Royster

Screenwriter
Doug,

Almost every CRT based HDTB displays 1080i. Most will take 720p and convert it to 1080i for display. None display 720p that I know of.

Almost every fixed pixel display (DLP, LCD) displays 720p. These convert 1080i to 720p.

Hope that helps. The above are over simplifications and generalizations however so take it for what it is. I just wanted you to know that there are almost no TVs that will display 720p and 1080i as well. They just convert it to one or the other depending on design.

Mitsubishi, Hitachi, Pioneer, Samsung, Toshiba, et all make fine sets.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Thanks John. The reason I was inquiring about both 1080i and 720p is that I want a set that will display the full 1080i HD signal and also do progressive scan dvd playback. If I understand you right, a HDTB takes a 720p signal and converts it to 1080i for HD playback. So can a DVD be played in progressive scan mode and fully display 720p on a HDTV monitor? Will it make some sort of switch between the two display modes? Further, will a HD signal from a set top box be displayed at the full 1080i? If I'm further confusing the issue, please forgive my ignorance. I just want to buy wisely.

Regards,

D

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
Progressive DVD is 480p, not 720p. A 1080i monitor (sometimes called 540p :)) is perfectly capable of displaying the full resolution of Progressive DVD.

The clarity of 1080i HD content (1920w x 1080h pixels) over Progressive DVD (700w x 480h pixels) is quite noticeable on over-the-air content. Not so much on digital cable or satellite because both sacrifice image quality (higher compression) to make room for more channels.

Sean.

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Next years mits will come with a DVI input. Im a new mits owner and DVI or not Im fraking in love with my TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks