What's new

The Metal Gear game on Gamecube is ... (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
In fact a remake of Metal Gear Solid ...

"Konami has announced that the official title for the GameCube Metal Gear game is Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes and that it's currently in development at Silicon Knights, the development team behind Eternal Darkness. The game will feature revamped graphics, but it will contain the original Metal Gear Solid storyline."

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
LOL. What a waste of talent.

Paul, any chance of giving a link when you do these cut & paste "teasers"? :)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Ugh, let's just hope they don't make you switch between Snake, Raiden, Liquid, and Meryl at the end of a 20 minute section of the game :D
Count me as excited. The original MGS was amazing and I'm really hoping that this one will recapture that with next gen graphics/gameplay. Though I'm a bit disappointed it's being developed by Silicon Knights(only due to my lackluster opinion of Eternal Darkness) they do have alot of experience with the Cube so hopefully this will be a good outing for them.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Ahhh, more info has come forth ... seems it will be a remake of MGS using the MGS2 engine and will come with a port of MGS2 as well. I agree with Brian, what a waste, an old game thats already been released on PS2 then PS2 and XBox and an even older game with new graphics.

How about something new? It seems to me the Gamecube is becoming a dumping ground for old games with updated graphics...Res Evil and now MGS.

http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/ne...m=5&nid=1-1.db

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
I wonder what happened to "Too Human;" I thought SK was still working on that. Either way, I'd hardly call two franchises a "dumping ground" for new ports of old games.

But it sure would be nice to see a new franchise title, similar to Square-Enix's "Final Fantasy:Crystal Chronicles."

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Lets hope the quality control is a bit better on this one than on Eternal Darkness. My GameCube froze almost every 20 minutes while playing that game. It always froze duing the last battle when Alex is transforming into all of the different people. When you try to regain sanity, the game freezes every time.

Did anyone else have these problems?

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
Eternal Darkness was kind of a sales bomb wasn't it?

All of that build up over the last month, and this is the big MGS to Gamecube news? Ho hum. I liked the idea of remaking the original NES games better.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Either way, this is cool.

Maybe MGS for NES will be in the game somewhere, like Animal Crossing hides NES games?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They're working with Konami, first of all. Second, they probably already have the engine from Konami, so all they have to do is create the game world for MGS. Third, they have the blueprints from the first game to go off of, so it's not going to take them that much time to put it all together, at least not compared to making a brand new game.

And besides, Silicon Knights probably doesn't have their whole staff working on this.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
They're working with Konami, first of all. Second, they probably already have the engine from Konami, so all they have to do is create the game world for MGS. Third, they have the blueprints from the first game to go off of, so it's not going to take them that much time to put it all together, at least not compared to making a brand new game.
So? All of that is development related, not content. My issue with it isn't how long it takes or who develops the engine (which I think you've got the wrong way around BTW). My issue is that it's a waste of SK's time to do a quick port of an old PSX title. Yes, it's easy revenue for them, but I don't think it's a good use of their talents. I'd rather see Konami & them do a new MGS title, or a "re-interpretation" of the NES plot. Almost anything but PSX MGS.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I agree I'd rather see the orignal Metal Gear done in MGS2 style, but hey I loved MGS and am really excited to see it using the vastly superior MGS2 engine. Sometimes I wonder if anyone on this board other than myself is an optimist. :)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I'm hoping that Konami is still working on MGS3 for the PS2 right now. I played MGS already, maybe if it is really snazzy I'll play it for the GC. But with really great and new titles coming out all over, who has time to play an older game again? If this hit in the same timeframe as Splinter Cell 2, I'm afriad it wouldn't be in the same ballpark.

Ah well, hopefully it'll be cool and I can pick it up cheap in a few years ;)

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Marc I imagine you just have a bad ED disc. I haven't heard of anybody else with that problem.

Too Human is still in development at SK as far as I've heard lately. Seems unlikely they'd can dev on it out of the blue.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes I wonder if anyone on this board other than myself is an optimist.
Heh. I'm sure it'll be a very fun experience, yadda, yadda, yadda, I'm just not keen on it as a project. I'd rather see something /new/. I feel the same way about the Resi Evil ports.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Brian,
I see your point about wanting something new, but I thought the Resident Evil remake was awesome(and the new areas were quite a nice addition too). I dunno, I agree remakes aren't quite as nice as brand new games, but that won't stop me from being excited over this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks