Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Extended Warranties on RPTV's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Kalvin

Kalvin

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 04:28 PM

are they worth it? i'm assuming a tv has minimal moving parts, and it's been my experience that if there is a defect with solid-state electronics...it will surface within the first year.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Wesley S

Wesley S

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 04:38 PM

We got it on our 36" CRT. Paid for itself within the first 2 days. Tech had to come out and adjust the voltage as the picture was blurry. I asked how much this visit would have cost us and he said around $150. 4 year service plan was $100.

Also I've always wondered why people say if there is going to be a problem it'll be within the first year? I mean doesn't things wear out after the first year also? What makes things "surface" within the first year? I'm curious more or less as to I see this brought up frequently.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 08:51 PM

I believe the idea of 1st year (or 1st month or 2 for other gears) is mostly refering to actual defects, not normal "wear and tear". PLUS the manufacturer warranty typically covers that long, so that's what matters when considering an EW.

Also, I'm not sure about the numbers, but in this other current thread, some even suggest that "durable goods" are generally designed for 8 years of useful life (or there abouts):

http://www.hometheat....hreadid=138238

OTOH, I have no idea how good a $100 4-year plan can possibly be unless we're talking non-HD direct-view. I paid essentially $250 for mine from Best Buy for a $1700 RPTV. Also, I get the impression that HD RPTVs are more likely to die prematurely than non-HD direct-views, which is partly why I made the exception to get the EW plan.

Personally, I think it's probably worth it if the EW essentially costs <=15% of the price of the TV upgrade/replacement you would need if the TV dies prematurely. Remember that you can almost certainly haggle a little more when you buy the EW, so the essential cost of the EW can likely be lower than its original stated cost. And also, you'll likely get better service and future help from the store if you buy the EW.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)