What's new

Extended Warranties on RPTV's (1 Viewer)

Kalvin

Auditioning
are they worth it? i'm assuming a tv has minimal moving parts, and it's been my experience that if there is a defect with solid-state electronics...it will surface within the first year.

Wesley S

Stunt Coordinator
We got it on our 36" CRT. Paid for itself within the first 2 days. Tech had to come out and adjust the voltage as the picture was blurry. I asked how much this visit would have cost us and he said around $150. 4 year service plan was $100.

Also I've always wondered why people say if there is going to be a problem it'll be within the first year? I mean doesn't things wear out after the first year also? What makes things "surface" within the first year? I'm curious more or less as to I see this brought up frequently.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I believe the idea of 1st year (or 1st month or 2 for other gears) is mostly refering to actual defects, not normal "wear and tear". PLUS the manufacturer warranty typically covers that long, so that's what matters when considering an EW.

Also, I'm not sure about the numbers, but in this other current thread, some even suggest that "durable goods" are generally designed for 8 years of useful life (or there abouts):

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=138238

OTOH, I have no idea how good a $100 4-year plan can possibly be unless we're talking non-HD direct-view. I paid essentially $250 for mine from Best Buy for a $1700 RPTV. Also, I get the impression that HD RPTVs are more likely to die prematurely than non-HD direct-views, which is partly why I made the exception to get the EW plan.

Personally, I think it's probably worth it if the EW essentially costs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks