-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Pls Help Me, Im A Newbie

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 David.DJ

David.DJ

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 02:40 PM

yes , i am a newbie to home theater system in a box. i was wondering if you guys can help me find a home theater in a box that is atlest between 200-330watts of power and under $230. i also want to hook up my dvd player, xbox system, and other home audio hardware, so i can have surround sound. pls help

also, when i was researching for a home theater in a box, i checked out this RCA RT2350 is this good enough for my xbox and other home audio hardware to plug in, so i can have a surround sound. and does player a dolby digital 5.1 surround or is it about the same.

pls rate it between 1-10 thank you.

#2 of 5 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 03:33 AM

David, run a search in this section as well as the Receivers/Amps section to find info on HTiBs. Audio/Video Sources also contains a number of posts/threads about all-in-one systems.

But the real reason I am responding to you is to disabuse you of the notion of "200-330 watts" of power from these concoctions. Such inflated figures are arrived at disengenuously, usually with the included receiver being driven into 6 ohms and measured at 1 kHz with only one channel driven and then multiplied by five (for five channels). Don't be misled by such egregious power claims.

#3 of 5 Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 04:01 AM

Yep, power output claims are all non-standard bullpoo anyway. Ignore them. Search here, read and get a feel for reputation of quality. It will serve you better than an Aiwa huck of junk that touts 400 watts.

-vince
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#4 of 5 Barry BB

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 04:24 AM

In all honesty $230 will not buy you anything that you could put into the "decent" category. You should think about holding off until you can get up to the $500 to $600 range. Then you are in Kenwood HTIB or JBL territory which are both excellent low end set ups.

#5 of 5 SteveKNJ

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 06:16 AM

I would suggest staying away from the RCAs at any costs. They have a reputation of making poor quality products (I can attest to that first hand..I had an RCA HTiB that the receiver was fried after about a month's use and it was unfixable). I would do as it is suggested here and save up a little more money and go for the Onkyo or Kenwood setups. Or you could do what I did, buy a Kenwood 6050 receiver (onsale at BB for $229 this week), a set of Onkyo refurb speakers from their website ($180 shipped), which are highly recommended in this forum (they were supposed to have cosmetic damage, but I couldn't find any damage), and go for one of those sub $100 DVD players (I got a Toshiba for $77 at Sears), so for about $400 you could get a relatively good system for starters that you can upgrade when you get more funds. Of course if what you have is the limit of your funds, get the receiver and a set of inexpesive speakers to start and slowly build up...