Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How long are big screen televisions supposed to last?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 08:58 AM

My family's owned a Mitsubishi VS-6017R since 1991. It's been like part of the family.

And now, I think it's starting to fade on us. Everytime bright white or bright colors show up (eg. Cube 2: Hypercube), the T.V. spazzes out.

Everything seems darker, and it seems like it can't handle bright colors. Is this the end of my big screen? Say it ain't so. Posted Image

#2 of 10 Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted April 30 2003 - 09:08 AM

Greetings

Life depends on how you take care of it. How long does a person live? Depends.

A well taken care of 45" Mits that I gave to my parents circa 1988/89 is nearing its end ... likely in the next year or two. This is a set that was "calibrated" almost since day one (after sitting on a showroom floor for 5 months prior to the purchase).

Maybe it just needs a new power supply ... but who knows.

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#3 of 10 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 09:09 AM

Sounds about par for the course. Sorry. The CRTs are now entering their terminal phase. (I also really don't like the idea of playing games on RPTVs or any other display whose primary use is for home theater.)

#4 of 10 EdR

EdR

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 11:54 AM

Quote:
(I also really don't like the idea of playing games on RPTVs or any other display whose primary use is for home theater.)

Including a DLP projector??

#5 of 10 Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 12:19 PM

Thanks. When it does end, a new question arises: what do I do with it?

#6 of 10 Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 12:39 PM

Durable goods are designed with an 8 yr life-span in mind. Refridgerators, TV's, Washers, Dryers, etc. You get the idea.

Anything over 8 years and you got a good deal.

Bill

#7 of 10 Steve Berger

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor

• 954 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 01:22 PM

7-10 years is the time frame that things start to deteriorate, electrolytic capacitors , solder connections (especially hot parts), transformers , picture tubes , etc. At this time minor repairs are OK but I don't advise major repairs. (I've run a service business for 24 years) A likely failure on your Mits are all the surface mount capacitors on the PIP board (all the video routes through it), a very messy repair. However if you can find a servicer who works on a lot of them , he may be proficient in repairing the board (not available as a repair part unless someone is rebuilding them). If he's done enough of them it might be economically feasible.

#8 of 10 scottS

scottS

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 10:24 AM

LOL. My old Mits VS-5006R is also dying. It's dark, and now on initial start up loses vert sync until warms up. Also on occasion the guns misalign (rotate) esp if the set is fully warm and you accidently switch it off and back on. But I am now in shopping mode!

scott s.

#9 of 10 Vin

Vin

Supporting Actor

• 547 posts

Posted May 02 2003 - 01:57 AM

Quote:
But I am now in shopping mode!

Every cloud has a silver lining.... Posted Image

Vin

#10 of 10 TroyRD

TroyRD

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted May 02 2003 - 02:56 AM

What do you mean by "spazzes out", if its just the image getting darker, when was the last time the screen was taken off to give the lenses and mirror a cleaning? Might just be a nice layer of dust causing the dark image.

Forum Nav Content I Follow