What's new

Air Vent/Ductwork help needed (1 Viewer)

JayDaniel

Stunt Coordinator
I'm remodeling a small bath next to my HT room. I need to add a room vent (in ceiling) for the bathroom. Right now I'm in the framing stage.

The main trunk line for the heating/air system is 10 feet away, and I have a clear path via floor joist to tap into the system. I know I'll need the insulated ductwork and a ceiling vent, and the appropriate tape (not duct tape ironically) to seal everything.

I'm looking for the proper procedures to do this small project. What's the best way to tap into the trunk? Should it be accessed from the top or side? What size duct is needed for a 4' X 10' bathroom on a short (10') run?

Anything else to watch out for?

Thanks.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Jay,
Use a 5" top take-off, 5" flex-duct (or galvanized duct) and a 4"x10"(rectangle)x 5"round angle boot for the supply grille. Take this info to your favorite hardware store/home center and they'll get you setup with what you need. Don't forget zip screws, and silicon caulk/duct tape (foil backed) to seal any joints in your duct system before finishing the rest of the basement.

JayDaniel

Stunt Coordinator
Frank - thanks for your help. I took your list to Home Depot and got everything on it. The only change was that I had to buy 6" takeoff/duct. They didn't sell 5".

I'm about halfway thru my remodel after this weekend. I'll get to the duct work later this week.

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks