What's new

How dramatic of a difference should I expect to see....... (1 Viewer)

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
....when going from viewing movies on a 32" HDTV Wega with an Xbox to a $150 progressive scan player? Will the difference really shock me or will it be moderately noticable? I've never actually seen a movie in progressive scan on an HDTV. :)

Dan.B

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Honestly I dont notice much of a difference on my 36" tv moving from a PS2 to a Yamaha S2300 a 1000 dollar progressive scan player

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Wow! Thats a bummer. :frowning: I've been hearing people refer to watching movies in progressive scan as looking "almost 3D" and "amazing difference from interlaced". However, i've also heard people describe the differences just like you did John.

Here is my predicament. I'm getting a 32" Wega HS500 on June 1st and I currently own a Gamecube and a PS2. So, for the time being the PS2 is my only dvd player. I'd like to have the PS2 and the Cube hooked up with component cables but i'm fully aware the PS2 is not the greatest dvd player. It puts out a dark picture for movies which forced me to edit one of my settings specially for watching dvd's on my current 24" Wega. My current Sony reciever doesn't offer component switching and I don't want to have to buy a seperate HD switcher and another component cable. :frowning: So, thats where i'm at. Anyone have sugguestions or further input on the subject? Thanks for any help.

Also, keep in mind that i'm a videogame player first but I do enjoy watching DVD's quite often and i'm a bit of a picture quality freak. So thats why i'm resisting hooking anything up with a junky S-video connection. :) I would hook the PS2 up via S-video but I want to be able to enjoy all of my progressive scan PS2 games (Burnout 2 owns all racers!!!!).

Dan.B

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I guess i should also mention Dan that I am making these comparisions on a Toshiba 36HFX71, the toshiba's have the ebst line doublers I have ever seen so that will undoubtedly play a role.

still on smaller sets like a 32 or 36 the difference is not night and day especially if you have a set with a good line doubler, which most do now anyways.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

It also depends on the DVD player you get. Not all 480P units are the same.

Typically ... you get minor improvement in detail. Slightly less noisy image ... and slightly cleaner colours.

Regards

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Well, the max i'm currently willing to spend on a progressive DVD player is $150. What the best PS DVD player for $150? Also, comparing that DVD player to the PS2 how big a difference do you predict?

Dan.B

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I was unaware that the PS2 did progressive scan. I thought only the gamecube and Xbox did that.

I just got the 32hs500 and to solve my component switching problem I bought a $20 game a/v switch at EB. It has 5 inputs with preprinted labels for Gamecube, DVD, etc. I am using it to switch component (480P from my Gamecube and DVD player)and it seems to work OK.

Don't forget to get the Gamecube component video cable. It is an absolute must-have. The difference is astounding.

Mark

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Thanks Mark. I already have the component cables for the PS2 as well as my Cube. :) Yes, the PS2 has several progessive scan games as of right now. I know for sure that Socom, Burnout 2, Tekken 3, and ATV Offroad Fury 2 are progressive capable.

I've heard before that normal a/v switchers cannot transmit enough bandwidth to do progressive scan. I've heard they lose too much of the signal and therefore you can't get progressive from them. I've always heard you had to have a switcher capable of amplifying the signal.

Dan.B

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Normal AV cables have plenty of bandwidth for 480p ... Even $0.50 cables have more than enough.

Regards

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Well that is fantastic news then! That means I can likely just buy a cheap switcher and a quality component cable and i'll be able to have all my systems as well as a new progressive scan player all hooked up without having to spend that much on the switcher! That is great news but I swear i've heard that regular component switch boxes will not transmit enough bandwidth for a progressive signal.

Dan.B

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
For a 480p signal I think they have enough bandwith. For a true HD signal such as 720p or 1080i I think there could be problems. As long as the switch is mechanical in nature and unpowered you should be fine for DVD or games.

Actually, I don't even use dedicated component video cables. I use these cables they sell at Target branded "RCA digital" or something like that. Double shielded, machined gold plated connectors, $12 for 1 meter. I notice no obvious problems with them. I also have a $80 Tara Labs cable that I plan on switching in to see if I notice any difference.

Mark

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Can somone else confirm this for me. I don't mean to second guess anyone but i've heard that using a regular $30 component switch box does regrade the image quality a little. I've also heard the cables can make a drastic difference when it comes to video quality.

Dan.B

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I dont know about the switchbox, but i can say this about cables, i have taken 3 dollar audio cables and used them for component video, and yes the quality was worse, but it wasent that bad. still better than composite. and i look at the cables my PS2 uses all three together are about the same thickness as one component cable i use withmy Yamaha S2300 and comparing the yamaha to the PS2 i dont notice much of an improvement in the Yamaha over the PS2, and i personally think most of difference is not form the cables rather the player.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I just ordered the Toshiba 4800 progressive scan DVD/DVD-A player from 6th Avenue Electronics for 158.00. According to my research, this player also scales non-anamorphic material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks