What's new

What is the first movie that introduced you to Hong Kong Cinema? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Hong Kong has produced some great movies over the years. Some of the greatest stars of these movies are now working in American films and are being exposed to a whole new audience. Where does somebody start? Well, where did YOU start? I want to know.

My first exposure to Hong Kong movies was through Jackie Chan movies and then when I saw the KILLER, well that was the end of that. 10 years later and my interest has never wavered.

I would like if you could tell me the very first movie that launched your interest in HK Cinema. I am particularly interested in those who may have first seen a Hollywood film directed by or starring HK talent. My intent is to make a list of films based on these movies that will help people just getting into HK Cinema.

The list will be designed so that people will appreciate the movie by the time they get too it on the list.

While I love the movie DRUNKEN MASTER, I wouldn't reccamend it to somebody who only saw CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON. Actually, DRUNKEN MASTER II would be a good bridge between the two. This is sort of how the list would work. Movie would also be linked by stars and genre.

All ideas are welcome!

Matt

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
My first HK film was probably Police Story. Go Jackie! :D

I've only comparitively recently been watching many of the gun ballet type of film although The Killer is another old favourite that I must have seen near the birth of my love for this genre.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Definitely it was The Killer that turned me on to the HK scene. Caught it on Cinemax years ago and was completely blown away, sending me on a mad search for Bullet in the Head and Hard Boiled.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Well, if we don't count watching Kung Fu Theater on weekends when we were growing up, I'd say the first time I became conscious of a "Hong Kong style" was when I saw The Killer. I'd heard about John Woo and found that one to rent (uncut) and loved it, and not too long after that Hard Boiled came to the US so I made sure to see that one in the theater, and that one was even better. After that, I just made a point of trying to track down copies of his movies to watch, even if they were crappy bootlegs, and that was how it started.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
My first foray into Hong Kong Cinema was in fact Drunken Master II. While on holiday at my Aunt and Uncle's place in Singapore, it was playing on a satellite tv station (no commercials!). I actually saw it twice on two particularly sweltering days.

Some time after returning to Canada, Jackie Chan's Rumble in the Bronx hit and I saw that next. I was distracted by the English dub.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Great !
Police Story is great because it stars Jackie Chan and Maggie Cheung. From that movie, a lot of movies could follow but the best choice would be POLICE STORY II or DRUNKEN MASTER II. You can follow the path of the POLICE STORY sequels for a while or you can ease into the Old School Kung Fu movies after watching DM II. DM II isn't really Old School Kung Fu but it's a nice movie to gradually get into DM I and his Lo Wei works. You can also get into Maggie Cheung's movies starting with HEROIC TRIO.

The Killer is also excellent because you have the incredible combined talents of John Woo and Chow Yun Fat. Don't forget Danny Lee, who will pop up in a lot of movies, too. Some good choices to see next are already mentioned but you can follow the path of Woo and Chow with A BETTER TOMORROW I & II. Then you can split that path between Woo and Chow. HARD BOILED also stars Tony Leung so his movies would be another path to follow.

Keep the movies coming!

Matt

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
While growing up on a diet of Asian and HK movies, I didn't fully appreciate my cinematic culture until such films as Iron Monkey, The Killer, and the older Jackie Chan (Project A, Police Story, etc...) action flicks made a sizeable impact in western society and became widely accessible. Iron Monkey was particular memorable, thinking to myself no way Hollywood could ever make such a film like this and what a star Donnie Yen is.

Beside the names already mentioned, I'll include movies from Stephen Chow, Yuen Biao, & Sammo Hung Kam-Bo. Also Young & Dangerous are also popular titles.

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
AJ
I grew up on HK cinema with Kung Fu theater, Black Belt theater, and video bootlegs while living in Japan. Through the 90's I lost interest when I got into college until Lethal Weapon 4 came around which introduced me to Jet Li. I started hunting for Jet's HK movies and picked up some old classics of Jackie Chan, Gordon Liu, and whoever else along the way. I'm not sure what HK movie got me into the genre since it was so long ago but I know LW4 renewed my passion for it.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'd have to say "The Killer" as well. I don't think I saw any of Jackie Chan's films until later.

My introduction to Jackie Chan was Quentin Tarantino's presentation of a lifetime achevement award from the MTV Movie Awards. That clipshow really kicked my ass. It probably is what jumpstarted his American career.

Jason

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Wow, lots of Killer fans out there. I'm going to have to add that to my Netflix queue.

My very first HK film was Jet Li's The Legend 2 on the Action Channel and from there I was hooked.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
My first foray into Hong Kong cinema was with Jackie Chan films as well.

I saw The Killer 6-7 years ago, and it blew me away.

Bill Street

Stunt Coordinator
I would think you'd need to start with one of Bruce Lee's movies. It's important to see one of these (Fists of Fury, The Chinese Connection, Enter the Dragon)in order to see how later artists such as Jackie Chan react to this "old-school" formula.

My first HK movie was probably Enter the Dragon, but Rumble in the Bronx really got me hooked :)

Bill S.

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
I saw Rumble in The Bronx in a noisy, shoebox-sized Atlanta theatre. One of the most remarkable moviegoing experiences of my life.

I didn't know movies could be so... fun.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I know that I had seen a Jackie Chan movie prior to this, but the first film I can think of that prompted me to seek out others in the "HK Film" genre was Hard Boiled. It was just a pure tour de force and what a wonderful way to be introduced to the film.

Tim RH

Second Unit
JACKIE CHAN films were the beginning for me too, though I think "Rumble in the Bronx" was the first one that I saw, which isn't technically a Hong Kong film.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The Killer and Hard Boiled. Rented those one night with some friends in college. talk about intense!

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
My first venture was Hard Boiled, mainly because I loved John Woo's American work. Then I saw The Killer, possibly the greatest action film ever made. I had no idea action sequences could look this good. Guess that's what we get for having excessive safety regulations in the US...

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Hard Boiled. The review in the paper called it a "bacchanalia of bullets", which sounded good to me! So we drove across town to see it and it was fantastic. That first shootout in the restaurant! The ending sequence! Everything in between! It was the first John Woo movie I saw. The Killer might be a better movie, but Hard Boiled, the longer director's cut, is more fun.

//Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks