Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I bought a Panny S35 DVD player, but I'm not getting 5.1 DTS or DD sound!!??

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   kurt_fire

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 01:30 PM

I have the audio hooked up through an Acoustic Research fiber optic cable to my Onkyo R500 Receiver. I have the Onkyo HTS 650 system by the way. How do I get this new DVD player to put out 5.1 sound? I am only getting 2.1 sound, even though the display on my receiver shows "DTS" or "Dolby Digital." I went into it's "setup" menu, and selected "bistream" for both DTS and DD. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know for a fact that all my speakers and subwoofer are connected correctly, and they do work. How do I get the s35 to put out 5.1 sound and not 2.1?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   JoeHard

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator

• 136 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 02:00 PM

My buddy had the same problem when he hooked his Sony DVD To his Onkyo TX 575. The manual says the digital coax is the default 5.1 input and you have to turn it off at the reciever.I don't know what you're supposed to do if you have more than 1 digital source. We never figuired out how to switch over so we just hooked it up with a coax.Wish I could be more help. good luck

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Frank_Ber

Frank_Ber

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 02:54 PM

Press "Surround" in your remote while playing the "DTS" or "Dolby Digital" tracks. If that doesn't not work, try pressing "A.Surr" or "DSP". If your press "stereo," your will only get 2.1 sound even on DTS and DD. I also have the Onkyo HTS 650 system.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   kurt_fire

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 02:56 PM

also, what does "DSM" do?

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   kurt_fire

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 03:29 PM

ok, thanks Ber. I pressed "surround" and it is putting out sound from all 5 speakers. Even though sound is coming out of all the speakers, why when I push "display" is says the audio is only 2.1 DTS, when all 5 are making sound? thanks.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Frank_Ber

Frank_Ber

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 04:03 AM

Are you pressing "display" on your DVD remote? If so, and 2.1 DTS is displayed on your TV, then you are playing a DVD with a 2.1 soundtrack. What DVD are you trying to play? Does 2.1 DTS encoded tracks exist? I thought that all DTS are 5.1 but I may be wrong.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   kurt_fire

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 06:58 AM

Frank, sound is coming out of all 5 speakers, but when I hit "display" it is saying 2.1, not 5.1. I'm positive these are 5.1 DVDs. It is saying this for every DVD I put in. I'm confused.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users