What's new

newbie question, recommendations for a new receiver (1 Viewer)

Dave_La

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

Just bought a Paradigm Cinema 90 HT. Now I need to find a receiver within the $300- $400 range. This will be my first receiver.

What I've looked at are:

- Onkyo TXSR-600
- Harmon Kardon HAVR-225
- Denon AVR-1803
- Yamaha RXV-630

What I'm hoping for is some suggestions or brands that you guys prefer. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Out of those that you listed most people would probably recommend teh HK and Yammie. YOu can go to crutchfield and do a comparison on all 4.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I'd recommend either the Denon or the Onkyo.

Just kidding :D

I was just messin' with Chad a little :)

Actually I'd prolly agree with Chad, although all 4 would be decent choices in that range. The Yammie would prolly give better movies and DSP. Musicwise would be more subjective, but prolly the HK, IMO.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Dave,

You might also want to check out factory refurbed units. I know HK has some on their website (www.harmanaudio.com), and they can be had for very reasonable prices. Also, they come with a full warranty and have been put through the ringer by the factory, so no worries with the refurbed part. Also, I think www.accessories4less.com carries Marantz refurbed receivers with a mfg. warranty. Marantz makes quality components as well. Best of luck!

Dave_La

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input guys. Between the Yamaha and the HK, I personally like the design of the HK. Only problem is that it lacks new features like DD-EX and DTS 6.1 and also no component video switching. Those features come in handy for future upgrade.

Besides that, have any of you guys have problem with HK?

Marantz, is it even possible to get it for my price range?

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
Don't worry about the component switching. It isn't a big deal to hook all the video connections to the tv and the audio to the receiver. You have to do more remote switching. Some don't care about that. I love my Yamaha 1300 and would highly recommend the 6.1 feature of any receiver, if your budget will allow it.

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
I guess I will be the lone voice that recommends you not exclued Denon. Personally, I prefer the sound of the Denons to Yamaha's, though they both are able receivers. I have the 1803 and like it really well. My main complaints are 1) remote isn't that great, 2) no pre-outs to add extra amps. #1 isn't that big of a deal for me, though some really hate the Denon remote, and I am not planning on going to seperates, so #2 isn't necessary for me (though in truth I would have prefered them, just in case you know :)) Just my $.02

Arup

Stunt Coordinator
Yamaha with properly matched speakers for accurate sound. Onkyo and Denon are very good deals too.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
I think of those 4 listed I would seriously consider only the Yammie and the Denon.

The Yammie seems like the safest bet to me. Yamaha is well known for build quality and reliability, and they seem to have put together some really great features for their entry level machines.

Denon is also very well made but I find Denon to be reliably more expensive then other comparable units. Some feel that Denons sound better then the Yammies, but that's very debatable!

So bottom line is, which one sounds better to you and has the features you need. When I made my choice I went to the store and did a side-by-side demo of the units I was considering. That's the only real way to tell. Good luck!

- Mike

Dave_La

Stunt Coordinator
I checked accessories4less.com and went with a Marantz SR-7200. Got it for $530 refurb. Any of you guys get the chance to check this out? Personally, I think is looks ugly, but of course I prefer quality over appearance.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Hey!.....that wasn't one of the choices :angry:
and..Hey!....that wasn't the price range either :angry:
What up??? :confused:

Just kidding :) Hope you enjoy it!

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
I checked accessories4less.com and went with a Marantz SR-7200. Got it for $530 refurb. Any of you guys get the chance to check this out? Personally, I think is looks ugly, but of course I prefer quality over appearance.
Well, glad we could help! ;)

- Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks